The Field Chef will direct all kitchen and personnel for off-premise events. Has sole responsibility for producing and supervising off-premise production of foods according to service guidelines. Field Chef will be responsible for ensuring proper use of storage and sanitation procedures in regard to cooking, holding and serving food. Assigns tasks to all kitchen personnel. Coordinates with Event Supervisor with regard to timing, plate presentation, special orders and plate-up specifications. Coaches and holds field staff accountable for all standard operating procedures and initiatives. All activities geared toward achieving total guest satisfaction.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Takes inventory all menu items and appropriate supplies immediately upon arrival to Blue Plate production kitchen. Communicates any production shortages or quality concerns to appropriate managers.
- Directs kitchen set-up and organizes supplies for most efficient production of food.
- Check in kitchen staff, familiarizes staff with menu and assigns tasks. Responsible for ensuring that all field staff reports for work in proper uniform and with appropriate tools.
- Coordinate with Event Supervisor regarding style of plating service, timing of courses and other special needs.
- Lead a pre-shift meeting with kitchen team and participates in service staff line up communicating all key details related to food (i.e.: presentation / flavor profile / timing).
- Supervises food production and ensures safe food handling procedures are used by all kitchen personnel. Further responsible to equally distribute work load and see that all members of the team are doing their part.
- Supervise breakdown and cleaning of kitchen and proper labeling and storage of leftover food items.
- Release staff from shifts as duties are completed, adhering to scheduled start and end times as closely as possible. Ensure staff sign in/out times are not rounded up or down, only exact.
- Ensure and holds staff accountable to all standard operating procedures and initiatives established by Service Department.
- Complete the event summary and any other relevant event paperwork and submit to the service department at the end of each shift. Document and communicate any performance issues to the Event Chef Manager in a timely manner via use of the disciplinary form.
- Based on business volume, may need to assist in production kitchen as scheduled by Staffing Coordinator.
- Participates in hiring, training, performance reviews, and corrective action as necessary.
- Attends department meetings as required. Attends job site visits for planning purposes as needed.
- Perform other relevant duties as required.
Education and Experience: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- High school or culinary graduate. Must possess strong culinary skills or strong cooking and production techniques to apply to off-site functions.
- 6 years of successful experience within the hospitality industry, preferably with catering or hotel food service.
- Completion of City of Chicago Department of Public Health Certified Food Service Manager certification preferred, or ability to complete the certification within 90 days after date of hire.
Essential Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Impeccable service standards and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others.
- Ability to effectively solve problems and make decisions in a fast paced, high pressure environment.
- Ability to work effectively across all functional departments.
Ability to read, write and speak English proficiently. Bilingual skills preferred.
Physical Demands: The physical demands describe here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, taste and smell.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to feel; reach with hand and arms, and stoop, kneel or crouch for 6 to 8 hours at a time.
- Regularly required to lift and/or move up to 60 lbs.
- Specific vision requirements include the ability to see at close range, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- May work in extreme heat and cold (non-weather and weather).
- May work in wet conditions (non-weather and weather).
- Noise level is low to moderate.
- May work near toxic/caustic chemical and with fumes or airborne particles.
- Will work near moving or mechanical parts.
Blue Plate Catering is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Candidates are considered for employment with Blue Plate Catering without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military status, protected veteran status or other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law.