This position is responsible for the design, maintenance and support of servers operating systems, line of business applications and cloud operations and management. The systems engineer contributes and works with clients to implement new solutions, troubleshoot escalated issues, and maintain systems configurations and operations. The systems engineer is skilled in a broad range of technical concepts related to applications, server, domains, and cloud. This individual is responsible for executing complex server and messaging technology projects from requirements gathering to close-out for both on-premise and cloud-based (Office365/Azure) platforms.
- Provides technical expertise to support client systems and infrastructure.
- Ability to independently upgrade/configure complex deployments and/or migration of legacy and modern Microsoft server products and platforms.
- Plans and executes software upgrades and migration activity. Develop transition plans to bridge current and planned infrastructure and integration requirements, including pre and post migration test and validations. Support and maintain monitoring for these technologies.
- Assist in developing best practices/standards and disseminating amongst teams.
- Update and maintain detailed technical designs and documentation.
- Generates configurations from Low level requirements for complex environments; expected to generate standard project documentation including detailed test plans for complex networks.
- Works within cross-functional teams to resolve issues.
- Works with Application, Support and Training staff to develop best practices and training materials for support teams and end users.
- Manages, reports, and resolves escalated incidents from lower teams.
- Willingness to take ownership of issues until resolution.
- Commit to continuous education, certification, and self-improvement in technical disciplines related to our clients.
- Limited Travel required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience designing, implementing and supporting Microsoft Server and Office 365 environments.
- Intermediate scripting and automation skillset (Powershell/Python).
- Advanced knowledge of Windows Server. This includes Active Directory, DHCP and DNS. Hands-on experience with Windows Server deployment.
- Various file sharing technologies
- Solid understand of DNS concepts.
- Experience with Microsoft 365 Cloud suite.
- Familiar with local networking technologies commonly found in business environments.
- Hands-on experience with various Hypervisor technologies (Hyper-V/Vmware)
- Strong technical and troubleshooting skills required to manage the daily operations and project implementation in a fast-paced managed services support setting.
- Must be an effective communicator with strong attention to detail in order to perform daily checks, monitor vendor support and perform required maintenance to keep the client systems highly available, stable and always performing optimally.
- Must be able to work in a small team environment.
- Shares information and communicates clearly with team members to improve team effectiveness.
- Expert understanding low level operating system functionality.
- Basic Linux skillset
- Database administration
- Advanced application performance and monitoring theories
- Comfortable with REST APIs
- Previous MSP Experience