The Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR) is a thriving professional medical society dedicated to optimizing patient care and improving lives through minimally invasive, image-guided treatments. Located in Fairfax, Virginia, SIR represents one of the most innovative, exciting, and competitive specialties in medicine today. SIR is a 501(c)(6) professional association that supports nearly 9,000 interventional radiology physicians, trainees, medical students, scientists, and clinical professionals. SIR is also comprised of SIR’s 501(c)(3) Foundation, which focuses on research and fundraising to advance the future of interventional radiology. Together SIR and SIR Foundation have nearly 50 staff, combined annual revenues of $10 million, and assets of $18 million.
SIR is excited to bring on a Social Media Intern to work with our staff and membership. This highly visible and connected role is a key member of the society’s communications team, collaborating regularly with staff, physician volunteers and society partners to creatively position SIR and IR through the society’s social media channels. In this role you will be responsible for the day-to-day running of social media channels and reporting on social media engagement. This is a remote position, with some flexibility in hours and days,15 hours per week. The internship affords aspiring communications professionals with an excellent window into nonprofit social media operations, with an opportunity to identify and develop their own areas for growth. The ideal candidate for this position has a proficiency in social media platforms as well as experience with digital editing. The majority of hours will be scheduled on Monday and Friday with flexible scheduling Tuesday to Thursday.
Primary Functions and Responsibilities:
SIR seeks a social media intern to work directly and collaboratively with our Social Media Manager to —
- Draft and enter society and foundation social media content for core channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- Engage in active listening, measuring, and reporting on social media engagement
Skills and Experience Required
- Use of social media platforms in a professional setting (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube)
- Use of social media management and measurement tools (Buffer, Tweet Deck, Twitter Analytics, Meta Business Suite, Falcon)
- Excellent verbal/written communication, proofreading and editing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
Skills and Experience Preferred
- Experience with graphic design platforms (Canva, Piktochart)
- Experience with media monitoring and distribution platforms (PR Newswire, Cision, Meltwater)
- Experience with basic video editing platforms (iMovie, Premiere, CapCut)
- Proficiency with MS Office (SharePoint, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficiency with G Suite tools (Google Docs, Google Forms, Google Sheets)
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements: Small, fast-paced open office environment with moderate noise levels. All SIR employees have the option for hybrid or fully remote work based on position and job requirements. Use of phones and computers for extended periods of time. Utilize office equipment and communication technologies for conference calls and teleconference meetings/webinars. Requires general mobility to move through the facility. Ability to lift up to 25 pounds. Frequent interaction with internal staff and physician members/board via phone, in person, email, and other mediums. Normal sitting and standing activities for an office environment. Some travel primarily for Annual Meeting.
SIR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.