The Virginia Outdoors Foundation is seeking a full-time Conservation Assistant to assist with regional conservation duties. The position will be based out of our Henrico Office; however, travel throughout the entire Eastern region will be required. Approximately 50% travel will be required for regional job duties, training, and staff meetings. This is a hybrid telework position; however, the candidate must reside within commuting distance of VOF's Henrico office. A VOF vehicle will be provided for regional travel. Starting salary is $45,000-47,000 (depending on experience) with benefits including medical, vision, dental, 401k, STD/LTD, FSA, life insurance, and a generous PTO plan. EEO/AA. The position closes June 2, 2023.
- Work 40 hours per week.
- Work regionally with frequent travel required throughout the service area.
- Assist with assigned duties including, but not limited to, open-space easement monitoring, interpretations and reviews, landowner education, digital file organization, and other assistance, which will entail, in part:
- Traveling across the Eastern stewardship region to conduct site visits.
- Visiting easement properties to document any physical changes using GPS, digital photography, iPhone applications, and GIS.
- Creating maps and manipulating data using ArcMap and ArcGIS Online.
- Contacting and maintaining good relationships with easement property owners and their representatives.
- Maintaining accurate documentation in digital files on cloud storage site and custom database.
- Researching courthouse deeds and county land use and development records.
- Assisting with GIS editing and map creation.
- Assisting other staff with documentation, mapping and filing.
- Assisting easement owners with land management issues.
- Other general office duties and support.
- Participate in training activities, as required.
- Participate in staff meetings, as required.
- Degree in Natural Resources, Planning, Landscape Architecture, Environmental Science, Civil, Agricultural, or Environmental Engineering, or related field, from an accredited college or university preferred/desirable, or experience that would provide the skills and abilities listed.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work alone or in teams on projects, including site visits to properties in remote and rural areas.
- Demonstrated experience with ArcView 10, ArcGIS Online and/or ArcGIS Pro, GPS, and similar applications.
- Demonstrated experience in using aerial imagery, topographic maps, iPhone applications, compass and GPS.
- Demonstrated computer skills using Microsoft Office, including word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation applications.
- Ability to effectively interpret boundary surveys, property descriptions, and other related materials.
- Ability to interpret official land records.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
Cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references required as part of application.
Reasonable Accommodation: During the selection process, applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation.
VOF is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and the highest ideals of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that our greatest strength lies in the individual differences, experiences, and skillsets that our employees bring to the table. Because of this, we strongly encourage applications from all walks of life and we welcome all contributions in terms of age, beliefs, color, culture, disability, education, ethnicity, gender identity/expression, language, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and veteran's status.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time. Must be able to walk/hike for extended periods of time over varied terrain and in changing weather conditions. Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
Questions or requests related to the position can be emailed to the Human Resources Manager, Sara Brooks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position closes June 2, 2023