Payroll Specialist manages all payroll activities and ensures the timely and accurate payment of employee wages. The Payroll Specialist will ensure the collection of all necessary information and documents, compute wages, and investigate and resolve any payroll issues or discrepancies. Payroll Specialist should be self-motivated to keep deadlines on tight schedules while ensuring wages are issued accurately and timely. Payroll Specialist should possess the ability to efficiently coordinate payroll tasks and follow company policies and legal regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collect and verify employee and timekeeping data.
- Processes regular payroll information on a bi-weekly basis, as well as bonuses and off-cycle checks when necessary
- Process Wage Garnishments and Child Support requests.
- Calculate the correct amount incorporating overtime, deductions, bonuses, etc. With the assistance of Paylocity.
- Review wages to ensure accuracy.
- Administer 401(k) contribution, loan payment, and electronic funds transfer on a bi-weekly basis in compliance with the plan design and federal regulations.
- Oversee electronic payments and distribution of payroll checks.
- Updating payroll information for promotions, transfers, terminations, and new hires.
- Recording and maintaining employee records and payroll transactions.
- Preparing statements reflecting earnings, taxes, and deductions.
- Keep track of hour rates, wages, compensation benefit rates, new hire information etc.
- Answering questions and resolving issues regarding pay policy and procedures.
- Ensuring compliance with company policies, relevant industry regulations, tax, and deductions laws.
- Preparing payroll reports for management and auditing purposes.
- Create custom reports as needed from HRIS systems.
- Assist with special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
- College degree in Business, Accounting, or relevant field preferred, with two years of proven payroll experience
- Experience with Paylocity (or similar fully integrated payroll system) required.
- Knowledge of accounting fundamentals and payroll best practices
- Knowledge of state/federal tax laws
- Great follow-through skills, and good with math and logic
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Attention to detail and analytical skills
- Process and results driven
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential information and maintain confidence.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic office skills and abilities, knowledge of standard office equipment and software including Google Docs, Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, PowerPoint, and ability and willingness to learn new and/or proprietary applications as required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments under high pressure in a fast-paced environment.
DESC offers a comprehensive benefits package and ongoing professional development opportunities, and more.
Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within our organization. DESC actively seeks applications from women, persons of color, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and other underrepresented group.