FN America, LLC is a U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A., a global leader in the development and manufacturing of high-quality, reliable firearms for military, law enforcement and commercial customers worldwide. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia with manufacturing operations in Columbia, South Carolina, FN America is passionately committed to providing its customers with a portfolio of FN-branded products, training and support services that enhance user performance and safeguard their lives. For more information, visit us at or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Manager, Special Processes drives change through lean deployment and holds the team accountable to the high standards set by FN America in the Heat Treatment and Surface Treatment departments. In this role, the Manager, Special Processes collaborates with other leaders and stakeholders to ensure process improvement and efficiency.
- Drives and executes operations to all established plant and manufacturing goals and objectives: cost of poor quality, plan attainment, cost targets, productivity targets, Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) goals, Standard Work, and 5S.
- Works with subject matter experts and engineers to improve processes by increasing material flow and decreasing scrap.
- Ensures processes are compliant with environmental regulations.
- Researches best practices for implementation at the production facility.
- Leads problem-solving efforts to develop robust corrective actions.
- Leads lean deployment efforts within area of scope.
- Provides feedback to other functions regarding schedule attainment and metrics.
- Reinforces proper behaviors and sets expectations to meet business objectives.
- Proactively works with maintenance regarding the upkeep and repair of tools and machinery to maximize operating capacity and longevity.
- Creates and drives production plans to maximize labor efficiency and utilization through changing production levels and mixes.
- Develops a cross-trained workforce and coaches team members for success.
- Other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor of Science in engineering, Metallurgy, or Chemistry is required.
Five years of experience in a manufacturing environment in chrome plating is required. Five years of experience in heat treat and phosphate is preferred (may be concurrent). Three years of management experience is required.
Skills and Competencies
All FN America employees are expected to demonstrate accountability, collaboration, communication, customer focus, and innovation. Additional requirements of this position include:
- Teambuilding experience
- Ability to provide technical leadership
- Basic problem solving using Lean Tools, Six Sigma tools, and Quality Tools
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Effective leadership of change management
- Servant leadership in a lean environment
- Ability to lead multiple shifts
Microsoft Office. Scanning Electron Microscopes, Mass Spectrometry, Chemical Titrations and other advanced measurement tools required.
Lean Six Sigma, CPIM, NADCAP, PMP or equivalent quality system accreditations highly preferred.
Typical manufacturing environment with some travel between buildings and to other locations required. May be exposed to hazardous chemicals and machinery and loud noises when on the plant floor. Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
All FN America employees have a responsibility to participate in the development of a safe and healthy workplace and to comply with instructions given for their own safety and health and that of others.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status.
FN America, LLC is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please email HR@FNAmerica.com or call: 803-736-0522.
We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor.