The Syracuse Regional Airport Authority is seeking a full-time Airport Operations Manager to oversee a diverse team of Operations Specialists at Syracuse Hancock International Airport. This administrative position provides guidance for effective Airside and Landside Operations, world class customer service while ensuring compliance with FAA and NYS DEC requirements related to the safety of airport operations involving airfield maintenance, Aircraft Rescue/Firefighting operations, Airport security, wildlife management, and snow removal operations.
- Ensures compliance with Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) Parts 139 and 77, and 49 CFR 1542. This involves becoming knowledgeable with the regulations; determining deficiencies with current operations through analysis based upon findings, develop/modify a comprehensive program to ensure meeting of the Federal Regulations and ensuring the best interests of the Syracuse Regional Airport Authority.
- Has responsibility for the development, implementation and effective operation of those programs impacting upon the Air Crash Rescue, Security and Safety by coordinating with the Director of Airfield Maintenance, ARFF Chief and Director of Airport Security to ensure appropriate measures are taken to institute, evaluate and implement change where necessary.
- Works in tandem with Airport Communications Center to ensure consistent and effective communication and continuity of operations across airport programs and departments.
- Monitors the accurate reporting and dissemination of airport and airfield condition information to air carriers and other airport users that affect the safe operations of aircraft and general public.
- Reviews airport inspection reports and makes recommendations for correcting deficiencies to appropriate airport staff.
- Directs the development and monitoring of staff training programs governing operations procedures including inspections, assessment, and notification of airport conditions.
- Assists with updating the Airport Certification Manual (ACM), Airport Emergency Plan (AEP), Wildlife Hazard Management Plan (WHMP), Snow and Ice Control Plan (SICP), and Airport Rules and Regulations.
- Ensures Airport wide compliance with New York State DEC rules and regulations and SRAA’s Best Management Practice Plan (BMPP), Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures plan (SPCC) and the State Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (SPDES)
- Provides oversight of compliance to all National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 407 regulation.
- Manage department budget and spending in accordance with SRAA procurement rules and regulations.
- Conducts investigations of incidents concerning violations that pertain to Federal, State and Local rules and regulations.
- Provides oversight of the Operations staff including hiring, training, professional development, discipline, attendance management and payroll.
- Ensures personnel are performing their duties in a safe and efficient manner, and all safety procedures are defined and adhered to.
- Thorough knowledge of Federal, State and Local regulations regarding airport operations, including Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) Parts 139 and 77, and 49 CFR 1542.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices associated with sound management policies governing the operation of an airport.
- Fundamental knowledge of Federal, State and Local environmental regulations. To include but limited to: Article 17 and 70 Environmental Conservation Law (BMP Plan), Rule 40 CFR 112 (SPCC Plan), 6 NYCRR Part 613 (PBS) 6 NYCRR Part 371 (Hazardous Waste Management)
- Thorough knowledge of National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) 407 : Standard for Aircraft Fuel Servicing.
- Ability to supervise staff, and delegate responsibilities and to plan, organize, and coordinate the work of staff with varying job tasks and duties in a manner conducive to full performance and high morale.
- Ability to prepare concise oral and written reports.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to interpret written material.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work well in stressful situations, including emergencies
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations and act as a liaison with a diverse group of people, including employees, governmental agencies, local air carriers, public officials, tenants, and the general public.
- Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications.
- Ability to stay organized and meet deadlines
- Strong ability to use computers, and proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position and being able to perform the essential physical requirements of the position including pushing/pushing up to 75 lbs., remaining stationary, being mobile, standing and walking for long periods of time, working outside in all weather conditions, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and safely driving a vehicle.
A) Graduation with a Bachelor’s Degree, or higher, from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees in Business Administration, Aviation or a closely related area to the aforementioned; and, four (4) years of professional level work experience at an International Airport (classified Part 139) on a large program impacting the operations of airfield safety and maintenance at an airport; experience must include both movement and non-movement areas of airfield; or,
B) Eight (8) years of work experience in Airport Maintenance, Airport Operations, Airport Rescue or Airport Security, four (4) years of which must have been professional level on a large program impacting the operations of airfield safety and maintenance at an airport; experience must include both movement and non-movement areas of airfield; or,
C) An equivalent combination of education and experience as described in A and B above.
Previous supervisory experience is preferred.
- At time of appointment, possession of a valid state driver’s license including any special endorsements, as required by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles for the class of vehicle being operated. Eligibility for and continued possession of the license is required for employment.
- Subject to Syracuse Regional Airport Authority drug and alcohol testing policy for safety-sensitive positions.
- Must be able to meet and maintain Transportation Security Administration requirements authorizing unescorted access entry to Security Identification Display Area (SIDA).
*Any offer of employment would be contingent on passing a security clearance background check. Must be able to obtain and maintain a Security Identification Display Area (SIDA) badge.
**This is a Civil Service provisional position. A Civil Service exam may be required to obtain permanent appointment, however, request for non-competitive jurisdictional classification is pending.
Salary and Benefits
$80,000 + depending on experience.
The Authority offers a comprehensive salary and benefits package, including medical/dental/vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, generous paid time off, New York State deferred compensation (457b), Employee Assistance Program and membership in the New York State Local and Employee Retirement System. To learn more about our organization, visit: http://www.syrsraa.com/.
Interested candidates should apply online, including a resume, and 3 professional references.