Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) is a 501(c)(3) serving as the fiscal and administrative agent of the Mayor’s Workforce Development Board (MWDB), which is the local Workforce Investment Board (WIB). DESC is also MichiganWorks! Agency for Detroit. In concert with the Mayor’s Office of Workforce Development, DESC is the implementation and operations partner for the City’s workforce strategy.
The Community Health Corps (CHC) focuses on tackling poverty through an intense, restorative case management model. CHC staff connect vulnerable residents to the appropriate social services provided by government and nonprofits. Service connections include but are not limited to food security assistance, rental assistance, behavioral health, and home repair services. As the CHC grows and enhances its data and operational capabilities, the team has a need for expertise and leadership in data analysis, monitoring program service delivery quality, and comparative data analysis to inform program quality management, outcome measurements, and ultimately program evaluation. We are looking for an individual passionate about helping the CHC leadership and programmatic team make data-informed decisions to enhance our operations and services and improve outcomes for Detroiters.
This position reports directly to the Director of Data and Community Research and will work closely with a dynamic team of CHC employees, City of Detroit Department partners such the DS&A Data Team, the Continuous Improvement Team and external social service organization partners.
- Assist with establishing key performance indicators that align with contractual and Mayor’s Office goals.
- Performing analysis to assess quality and meaning of data.
- Establish and implement protocols for ensuring data quality and integrity.
- Ensure that program data entry is accurate and manage data clean up when necessary.
- Remove corrupted data, fix coding errors and other related problems.
- Structure, clean and wrangle unstructured administrative data from multiple sources to create unique datasets in preparation for analysis.
- Ability and desire to administer a legacy (Smartsheet) system as it is retired, assisting staff with daily issues as top-level support.
- Ability to analyze existing Smartsheet data and assist with the data transformation and initial load of the new case management system.
- Ability to analyze program data stored electronically in Smartsheet today, and both a third-party case management system (due online August 2023) and a proposed internal integrated Data Warehouse (ETA one year).
- Document and catalogue both the data sources and new datasets generated in the course of the job in the form of data dictionaries, variable codebooks, and dataset repositories.
- Assist with the creation and maintenance of training materials for CHC’s case management system(s).
- Assist with training and providing technical assistance to users of CHC’s case management system(s).
- Promote systemwide data quality by informing program staff of any issues and providing additional training and technical assistance as needed. When necessary, assist with projects to address systemwide data entry challenges.
- Use automated tools to extract data from primary and secondary sources.
- Monitor program performance indicators: create queries, reports and data charts that assist the executive leadership team, management, and case management teams to identify potential issues and areas for improvement.
- Draw insightful conclusions from large amounts of quantitative and qualitative data and manage large datasets using Excel, Navicat or other databases and statistical software tools such as Python or R.
- Utilize complex systems and software tools to analyze program, resident (administrative, census, state and local) and social service provider data to develop program recommendations.
- Work with data both at both the individual respondent level as well as aggregated up to various scales of administrative geography, merging and preparing geospatial datasets for both analysis and visualization using GIS Software such as QGIS, Tableau, PowerBI, and other visualization tools.
- Use statistical tools and machine learning to identify, analyze, and interpret patterns and trends in complex data sets that could be helpful for problem identification and the prediction of process improvement outcomes.
- When necessary, create metrics by assigning numerical value to essential business functions so that business performance can be assessed and compared over periods of time.
- Research and analyze local, national, and global trends in public policy and social processes that impact low-income vulnerable residents, identifying both the causes of vulnerability but unique policy solutions being implemented elsewhere that match the conditions of the City of Detroit.
- Develop reports, slide-decks, one-pagers and presentations for the management stating trends, patterns, and predictions using relevant data.
- Assist the Director of Data and Community Research in working with programmers, engineers, and management heads to identify process improvement opportunities, propose system modifications, and devise data governance strategies.
- Assist the Director of Data and Community Research with preparing final analysis reports for the executive leadership team and Mayor’s Office stakeholders to understand the data-analysis steps, enabling them to make important business decisions based on various facts and trends.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Specific qualifications include but are not limited to:
- Considerable knowledge of data types and structures with experience in data cleaning, wrangling and merging.
- Considerable knowledge of statistical analysis methods and techniques.
- Fluency in either Excel, Smartsheet, Python, or R; Preferred or a willingness to learn.
- Experience with data visualization and an understanding of the connection between infographic design and communication. Experience with Tableau and PowerBI a plus.
- Robust analytical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate effectively in person, in writing and by telephone.
- Strong training and facilitation skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently. Must be able to demonstrate project management skills to produce quality, timely, and complete work product.
- Ability to always exhibit professionalism.
- Seek growing responsibility and show great capacity for work.
- Ability to work under pressure and reprioritize to meet deadlines; and
- Must be discrete and professional, particularly when handling confidential information.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in applied statistics/math, business administration, social science, public policy, education, or another related field is preferred although equivalent combination of professional experience and education may be substituted.
- At least two (2) years of related professional experience is required.
- Experience with Salesforce, Smartsheet, and/or OSMIS or the ability to quickly learn new systems is strongly preferred.
- Valid State of Michigan Driver’s License – Position may require field work.
- Background check and drug screen required.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
DESC offers a comprehensive benefits package and ongoing professional development opportunities, and more.
Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within our organization. DESC actively seeks applications from women, persons of color, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and other underrepresented group.