Senior Associate, Development
New York, NY • Property Management
- Lead the group in all aspects of affordable housing acquisition, rehabilitation, and development (Section 8, LIHTC, etc.) in core markets across the US.
- Make substantial contributions to analysis that will inform the firm’s investment decisions
- Ability to drive all phases of a deal and proven understanding of a project from sourcing through stabilization.
- Compilation of due diligence information including financial, market, site, and regulatory data
- Order and review third-party reports, including plan and cost reviews and environmental reports, and discuss any pertinent issues with the appropriate parties.
- Analyze and compare complex partnership agreements and cash flow waterfalls
- Coordinate and lead community meetings and governmental approval processes
- Manage project pro formas including budgets, schedule, timing, and underwriting assumptions
- Completion of applications and documentation necessary for debt and equity financing, property purchase and sale, and government subsidy renewal
- Support detailed analyses of project schedule delays, cost overruns, productivity, contracts, change orders and other issues related to design and construction
- Involvement in contract negotiation and review of legal documentation for each project
- Validation and defense of budgets, assumptions, and pro-forma analysis
- Build, coordinate and lead internal team members and external consultants through conceptual design and entitlements leading to construction documents
- Supervise appropriate personnel including, less experienced team associates and analysts, clerical support, and others as appropriate
- Perform, coordinate and lead pre-development work such as preliminary architectural and engineering issues, zoning issues, local government and community support
- Prepare client communications for senior level review
- Work directly with Director on project
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field, advanced degree preferred.
- 6-7 years of experience in real estate development and/or construction, preferably multifamily.
- LIHTC and Section 8 development experience highly preferred.
- Strong quantitative, financial analysis and modeling (excel) skills.
- Exceptional research and writing abilities.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong project management skills and follow-through.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize appropriately in a constantly changing environment and act with a sense of urgency and accountability.
- Highly driven and values entrepreneurialism; works well within ambiguity.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Sound judgement.
- Some travel required