Job Title: MREP Administrative Assistant
Supervisor: Leah MacNichol, MREP Operations Manager
Pay Grade: 4 Pay Grade Range: $39,400 – $63,100
Salary Range: $45,000 – $50,000
The Gulf of Maine Research Institute (GMRI) develops and delivers collaborative solutions to global ocean challenges. We are dedicated to the resilience of the Gulf of Maine ecosystem and the communities that depend on it. To learn more, visit gmri.org.
The Marine Resource Education Program (MREP) empowers fishermen and other fisheries stakeholders to effectively participate in federal fisheries science and management through either a 2-part series of 3- day workshops, or a single 5-day workshop, that engage(s) 20-30 fishermen participants with 10-15 fisheries researchers and managers in a neutral setting. We operate in NOAA’s Greater Atlantic (New England and Mid-Atlantic council regions), Southeast (South Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico council regions), Caribbean, Pacific, and North Pacific fishery regions, and conduct between 15-18 events annually. Foundationally a program developed in Maine by fishermen, for fishermen, MREP is committed to remaining regionally relevant through collaborative program development with regional leadership.
The MREP Administrative Assistant will provide general administrative support for the team but will have a particular focus on supporting event planning and execution, including registration and contact database management, and maintenance and delivery of workshop materials. This is an hourly, 40- hour/week position. The MREP Administrative Assistant will report to the MREP Operations Manager and will work closely with the MREP team, GMRI’s other Community team15 programs, as well as GMRI’s accounting and data management teams. The target start date for this position is August 7, 2023.
This position is full-time and located at GMRI in Portland, Maine. The position will involve minimal travel to support MREP workshops happening in locations across the country but will be on a case-by-case basis.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
Assists 15 – 18 MREP Workshop Registrations & Data Administration:
- Responsible for the coordination of inbound workshop applications and data entry; including tracking details in database; building and generating reports; tracking metrics
- Coordinate Steering Committee meeting registration and tracking RSVPs
- Maintain accurate database constituent information
Event and Meeting Logistics:
- Manage the assembly of program workshop binder materials such as presentations, agendas, speaker bios, attendee lists, evaluation forms, nametags, and other materials as needed
- Coordinate shipping of materials and audio-visual equipment to workshop and meeting venues in a timely manner
- Assist in the coordination of materials for workshop hands-on educational activities
- Organize and catalog program documents, photography, and historical documents
- Maintain program audio-visual equipment and inventory of workshop supplies
Support MREP Team with General Administration:
- Coordinate meetings with internal and external team members, including complex Outlook calendaring
- Participate in and contribute to broader Community Department meetings and activities, as well as GMRI meetings and activities; and support other MREP and organizational needs as required
GMRI will seek candidates with demonstrated administrative skills, time and project management, strong oral and written communication, an understanding of event planning and logistics, data administration, and a friendly and professional demeanor.
Required skills and experience include:
- 4 years of administrative experience
- Salesforce and/or other CRM system experience
- Experience in event planning (logistics/coordination) and execution
- Proven record of attention to detail and meeting deadlines
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively, a self-starter capable of taking initiative, and comfortable managing and accomplishing multiple tasks
- A team player with a sense of humor and the ability to remain flexible amid a fast-paced work environment
- Exceptional communication skills in all forms and contexts, verbal and written
- Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft software (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) as well as the Google suite of tools
- Comfortable with electronic communication and social networking technology, such as Slack
Other Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in data administration
- Commitment to GMRI’s mission
- Interest in the Gulf of Maine, coastal communities, science, and education
- A people person who enjoys interacting with fishermen, other fisheries stakeholders, entrepreneurs, and scientists
- Patience, and a sense of humility and optimism
Diversity and Inclusion:
GMRI has a long-standing policy and commitment to providing equal access and equal employment opportunities in all terms, conditions, processes, and benefits of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status. GMRI's employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status.
Applicants and employees are encouraged to voluntarily self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender, disability status and veteran status to assist GMRI in fulfilling various data reporting requirements of the federal government. This self-identification is completely voluntary, will be kept confidential and separate from your application data, and used only to meet federal reporting requirements. Providing or declining to provide this information will not result in adverse action of any kind.
Salary and Benefits:
Gulf of Maine Research Institute offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Salary: $45,000 – $50,000
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and résumé. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the successful candidate has been selected.
Per GMRI’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all GMRI personnel are required to maintain full vaccination status against COVID-19, as defined by CDC, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.