ABOUT PROSPECT PARK ALLIANCE
Prospect Park Alliance (the “Alliance”) was founded in 1987 and in partnership with the New York City Parks Department is responsible for the care, management and advancement of Prospect Park as one of the premier public green spaces in the country. The Alliance contributes staff and other resources to advance the park’s resources, sustain the park’s environment including caring for the woodlands and natural areas and restoring park buildings and landscapes, and engage communities and visitors through free or low-cost attractions and volunteer, education, relaxation and recreation programs which contribute to health and wellbeing. The Alliance has an operating budget of approximately $15M, a staff ranging from 80 and up to 150 at peak times throughout the year. It operates a multitude of public programs and events that engage stakeholders, supporters and over 10 million visitors to the park each year. Prospect Park is an international model for the care of urban parks, and one of the premier green spaces in the United States.
The Event Venue Operations Manager is responsible for the leadership and direction of operations at both the historic Prospect Park Boathouse and the Picnic House. This position oversees and manages the general maintenance, repair and troubleshooting of facility issues in addition to general assistance to vendors, caterers, and guests to invite a successful event experience. Works closely with the Director of Rentals and Event Planning on strategy with all aspects of planning and daily operations of both venues.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY JOB OUTCOMES
- Manage daily operations and event details of both the landmark and historic Prospect Park Picnic House and Boathouse located inside Prospect Park
- Perform general maintenance, repair, and troubleshooting, including cleaning, electrical, carpentry, and mechanical support - Establish a calendar of routine maintenance as well as respond effectively to unexpected /urgent issues
- Oversees and performs daily inspections of public areas to ensure adherence to appearance standards and cleanliness.
- Create a maintain an activity and vendor log
- Supervise Events Coordinator, Events Staff Representatives and assign tasks as needed
- Manage the recruitment, hiring and training of staff and conduct annual performance reviews
- Maintain, troubleshoot and ensure A/V and P/A equipment is always secure and in working order for clients/guests/staff
- Provide a high level of service excellence to support vendors and caterers and ensure they follow Picnic House and Boathouse rules and procedures
- Work closely with the Events Sales & Planning Manager to plan and review upcoming events and provide additional support during open houses as needed
- Partner with the Facilities team to address urgent maintenance needs
- Maintain knowledge about and carry out fire safety and emergency procedures as defined by New York City regulations and Prospect Park Alliance policies
Performs other job-related duties and functions as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 5-7 years’ experience in facilities management and general maintenance as a handy-person, general contractor, property/building manager or event set-up coordinator including experience interacting with the public in either an event space, retail or other customer-facing environment.
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain OSHA-30, Certificate of Fitness of Indoor Place of Assembly Safety Personnel (F-03), and Certificate of Fitness of Temporary Indoor/Outdoor Place of Assembly Safety Personnel (F-04)
- A valid NYS Driver’s License
COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes)
- Passion for the Alliance Mission & Core Values: A passion for public parks and environmental conservation combined with a commitment to treating others with respect, appreciating individual differences and embracing the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ethics & Integrity: Earns the trust and respect of others through a consistent commitment to integrity, honesty and professionalism in all interactions.
- Job Specific Knowledge:
- General Facility Maintenance: Knowledge of or ability to perform simple building/grounds maintenance and repair duties utilizing power and hand tools commonly used in the industry including but not limited to power tools such as, drills, and hand tools such as hammer, pliers and screw drivers, lawn mowers, blowers and snow blowers.
- Project Management: Makes effective decisions about department priorities. Proposes defensible budgets and works to control expenditures. Ensures appropriate resources are available to meet capability and capacity required by objectives. Ensures policies,
- Health and Safety: Comply with relevant health and safety legislation and regulation and organizational policies. Manages risk including the identification of hazards, assessment of risks and implementation of control measures. Manages own safety and that of others.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: Committed to working in collaboration with others, promoting cooperation and commitment to others and being a positive team contributor.
- Customer Service: Exhibits a strong commitment to delivering excellent, welcoming and responsive service to patrons and customers.
- procedures and measures are in place to support achievement of objectives.
- Self-Management & Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented, and ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-pace environment.
- Technology: Proficient with automated technologies that support area of responsibility including G-suite and Microsoft Office Suite.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work requires a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Work generally involves visiting and/or working at various venues and public spaces throughout the park involving some exposure to moderate risk of accident/injury and requires following basic safety precautions.
- Requires operating motor vehicle; standing for extended periods of time; and stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, climbing ladders, lifting, pushing, pulling and/or crawling.
- Requires manual labor requiring minor physical exertion - lifting, pushing, and carrying, etc. up to 50lbs.
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms.
- The salary range for this role is $57K – $63K; salary offered is commensurate with relative experience
- The Alliance offers a very competitive benefits program including Medical, Dental, Vision, STD/LTD, Life Insurance and employer contribution to 403(b) Plan and generous PTO
- The Alliance offers competitive Paid Time Off including Vacation, SIck TIme and Paid Holidays
- The Alliance also provides and Employee Assistance Program and has an Employee Recognition Program
DIVERSITY MAKES US STRONGER: Prospect Park Alliance serves park users of all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and strives to reflect this diversity throughout our operations and in our leadership, staff, stakeholders and supporters. We know that by creating an equitable and inclusive workplace built on mutual respect and the appreciation of difference, our employees will feel safe to express themselves, voice their opinions and work together to find common ground and solutions. Integral to this vision is our longstanding commitment to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Integral to the Alliance’s vision for a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace is our commitment to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religious creed, color, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, height, and weight, or other personal characteristics as may be protected by applicable law.