Speech & Language Therapist
Mary McDowell Friends School is a K-12 college preparatory program dedicated to the success of students with learning disabilities. Grounded in the Quaker values of equality, integrity, and social responsibility, we cultivate a diverse community where all students can reach their full potential. Our specialized teaching methodologies and challenging curricula empower students to become academic achievers, creative thinkers, and contributing members of a global society.
Mary McDowell Friends School (MMFS) seeks an enthusiastic, dedicated, and motivated Speech and Language Therapist in the Lower School for the 2023-24 academic year.
Speech and Language Therapists (SLTs) work on a team of three speech-language pathologists who will share responsibilities for supporting all Lower School Students. You'll see a wide variety of special needs, including ADHD, developmental delays, behavioral challenges, anxiety, and other learning differences.
The essential duties of the Speech & Language Therapist include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching responsibilities may vary depending on the needs of specific student and division needs
- Work in collaboration with the division director or academic dean to create a speech and language program that meets the needs of the students
- Implement individualized and differentiated language therapy plans
- Assign and provide prompt feedback to classwork and homework
- Supervise students when participating in division-wide and school-wide activities such as silence, assembly, community service, buddy class activities, and field trips
- Flexibly and creatively implement therapeutic services using evidence-based practices
- Conduct speech and language screenings as needed
- Participate in and lead professional development activities for faculty and families; consult with fellow speech-language therapists as needed
- Participate fully in the life of the school, including professional development, MMFS committees, weekly faculty meetings, regular supervisory meetings, and all school silence and staff meetings
- Supervise student activities including study hall, student trips (including overnight trips), advisory, student clubs, etc.
Diversity and Equity Commitments:
- Understand and participate in all school-wide diversity and equity initiatives
- Examine teaching practice through the lens of race, identity, equity, and privilege.
- Develop a curriculum that provides students with an opportunity to recognize their many identities
Staff and reporting relationships
Speech & Language Therapists report to the Division Directors. They also work collaboratively with the faculty, counseling team, and administration regularly.
In compliance with NYC’s Pay Transparency Act, the annual base salary range for this position is $68,000 - 71,000. Mary McDowell Friends School considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, essential skills, internal peer equity, and market and organizational considerations when extending an offer.
- MA in Speech and Language; Licensed CCC-SLP required.
- 1-3 yrs direct experience; independent, charter school, or special education experience a plus
- Strong oral and written communication with parents, children, and colleagues
- Commitment to equity and justice, including knowledge and skills related to cultural competencies
- The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
- Team-oriented with strong organizational and collaborative skills
- Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
- Familiarity with new technologies; GSuite and Veracross a plus
To apply, please upload a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three professional references as a .pdf (preferable) or word document. If your background and experience are appropriate for the position, you will be contacted directly by a member of our search committee.We offer a rewarding work experience in downtown Brooklyn, NY, where we encourage employees to bring their whole selves to work. We recognize, appreciate, celebrate, and honor our diverse community as we build an awareness of who each individual is and who we are collectively. Applicants who enhance the diversity of the school's faculty and administration are strongly encouraged to apply.Please visit our website for more information on our school and a full list of vacancies.