At Easterseals of Chicagoland and Greater Rockford, we are committed to two – often interconnecting - pillars of work……early learning and disability. Through these pillars, we transform the lives of early learners and individuals of all abilities through access to expert educational, family, and community support. As an affiliate of America’s largest nonprofit health care organization, we have proudly served the communities and families of Chicagoland and Greater Rockford since 1936.
For more information about our organization, please visit us online at www.eastersealschicago.org.
Under the direction of the Health and Nutrition Manager, the Nutritionist assists Early Learning Services sites throughout Chicago and surrounding suburbs with promoting child wellness by ensuring that sites are providing nutrition services that supplement and complement those of the home and the community. The Nutritionist assists families in meeting each child’s nutritional needs and in establishing good eating habits that nurture healthy development and promote life-long well-being.
This role is ideal for someone who has respect for children and families with diverse values and cultures and is passionate about achieving positive child and family outcomes through high-quality engagement.
This position is headquartered at Easterseals Chicago Location at 1939 W 13th Street, Chicago, IL 60608.
- Interpret federal, state, and local nutrition regulations and standards.
- Review menus to assure meals offered to children at Early Learning Services sites and home-based socializations comply with federal, state, and local regulations, including ISBE requirements and the Head Start Program Performance Standards (HSPPS).
- Consult with parents, site staff, and Easterseals staff regarding individual child nutrition-related concerns, and document in ChildPlus.
- Provide technical assistance to sites (on family style meal service, CACFP guidelines, menu preparation/selection, etc.) as needed.
- Complete nutritional status assessments in ChildPlus one time per year.
- Ensure that teachers and home-based staff complete nutrition education activities and food experiences with children/home based families per current requirements based on Head Start standards.
- Provide a monthly newsletter to all sites and families enrolled in the Early Learning Services programs.
- Provide parent workshops that are responsive to families’ needs and interests.
- Provide nutrition training and technical assistance to the pregnant women enrolled in the home-based program model.
- Conduct trainings for site staff and Easterseals staff as needed.
- Serve on the Health Services Advisory Committee.
- Submit all required paperwork accurately and in a timely manner and attend all required meetings.
- Participate in ongoing monitoring and the annual program self-assessment.
- Travel to Easterseals regions as needed.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Registered Dietitian, Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist
- Microsoft Office Suite or related software including Microsoft Teams.
- Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) for childcare centers
- IDPH Food Service Sanitation Code
- IDCFS Licensing Standards for Day Care Centers Section 407.33 Nutrition and Meal Service
- Valid driver’s license
- Auto insurance
- Reliable vehicle
- Able to work well with all levels of the organization, partner sites, other agencies and funding source personnel.
- Able to manage multiple projects.
- Well organized, highly detail oriented and accuracy driven.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
ADA: Easterseals will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disability Act of 1990. Unless exempted by the Americans with Disabilities Act, all persons hired for this position are required to possess the ability to perform the physical tasks necessary to treat clients, i.e., bending, floor-sitting, etc., as well as to have the ability to lift up to 50 pounds frequently.