The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, breaking the stories and covering the issues that matter most to Chicagoans with depth, integrity and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigations, feature reporting, photography, criticism and editorial cartoons.. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for news coverage, investigations and feature reporting and for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ, with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, Chicago Sun-Times Media, Inc. (CSTM) is now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism deeply connected to Chicago communities.
An opportunity to make a big impact
We’re looking for a versatile, experienced leader to oversee our Sunday print edition and special sections to ensure that they offer a compelling mix of distinctive must-read stories.
It’s an important moment as we reorganize our staffing to continue to break news while focusing even more on enterprising stories and investigations that drive conversation and make a difference. The Sunday paper is the print home for some of our biggest stories.
This key role offers an opportunity to shape and help build an influential and growing local news outlet in a highly competitive market that also offers exciting opportunities for collaborations that go beyond our own newsroom.
- Set goals, strategy and plans to ensure that the Sunday paper remains the best single spot all week for readers to find compelling and distinctive journalism on a range of subjects that inform, enlighten and entertain.
- Prospect for and plan stories for the Sunday paper, working with the deputy managing editor for enterprise and investigations, the leaders of our enterprise reporting teams and other stakeholders in the newsroom and with our journalistic partners to ensure that we produce an outstanding paper in the current week and are planning for the future.
- Create an effective workflow to ensure that we edit stories throughout the week and avoid production bottlenecks at week’s end.
- Edit stories with reporters to ensure that they are accurate, far and offer a full picture and to elevate their storytelling.
- Ensure that we get photos, graphics and other art that we need in a timely fashion.
- Work with other editors, our audience team and our print production desk to craft compelling headlines for online as well as for the Sunday paper.
- Communicate well with our print production desk to ensure that they know what’s coming and when and have what they need.
- Oversee special sections to ensure that they offer a compelling mix of stories.
- Help improve the Sun-Times’ editorial excellence, workplace culture and impact.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related training.
- At least 10 years of newsroom experience, including news reporting and management of news coverage and investigations.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and think strategically.
- Ability to react quickly in a deadline-filled environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a union environment.
What we offer
- A competitive salary and benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, retirement savings, an FSA plan and a commuter benefits plan.
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture.
- A flexible work schedule.
- The chance to be part of an iconic and trusted brand and help build the future of local news.
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM can change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice. This role does not offer sponsorship employment benefits.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status or on any other basis which would violate any applicable federal, state or local law.