Position Summary: The Field Engineer is responsible for the successful configuration, set-up, fine-tuning, programming, testing, trouble-shooting and completion of audio-visual and video projects for iSPACE customers. Work will be completed in the office as well as the customer site and will be at the direction of iSPACE Project Managers. The Field Engineer will work alone or in conjunction with a Lead Technician to complete each project. This position requires a high level of proficiency in audio-visual, network, audio-conferencing and video-conferencing operations. You will be working with technicians, customer I.T. personnel, sub-contractors, engineers, programmers, project managers, sales and internal staff to complete professional AV systems designed to exceed customer expectations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Field Engineer Specific Responsibilities:
- Video Conferencing provisioning.
- VOIP System provisioning.
- Control System provisioning.
- DSP programming and audio engineering.
- Desktop Conferencing configuration and set-up.
- Lighting System programming.
- Test systems upon completion to ensure systems function properly. Diagnose, troubleshoot, and correct technical issues on site.
- Provide direction to Lead Technicians and Engineers for trouble-shooting and final engineering changes.
- Test, train and instruct customers and fellow internal team members on the proper use of equipment and systems.
- Read and interpret wiring diagrams, schematics, and blueprints for solutions.
- Investigate and resolve open issues with vendor support teams.
- Obtain technical certifications and continual training as directed by management to further develop your career.
- Work with Help Desk to resolve escalated service calls may be required.
- Help to ensure all projects are done within the scope of work that is defined, installed within the predefined budget and customer deadline.
- Provide daily, written updates to Project Management.
- Help to ensure all projects are completed and approved by the client with signed “sign off sheets” when appropriate.
- Document and submit final programs and as-builts (if needed) for installed solution.
- Document and fill out weekly timecards and expense reports.
- Travel outside the Twin Cities Metro area will be required to perform final commissioning of projects. Our primary geographic areas of concentration for sales opportunities are based in a 100-mile radius of the Minneapolis/St Paul and San Francisco Bay area; however, regional and national projects will arise often and require travel to these areas.
- Work is sometime required outside of the standard work day to meet customer requirements. This includes the willingness and ability to work early mornings and/or evenings and some weekends.
2. Serve as a Steward of iSpace Core Values and Brand
- We are EXPERTS: We provide well thought out solutions to support our client’s business needs.
- We are RESOURCEFUL: We will find ways to get it done and make it look easy.
- We VALUE all PARTNERSHIPS: Our partners are not viewed as transactions, but friends. We support each other and celebrate in each other’s successes.
- We believe in TEAMWORK: All of us together are better than each of us alone.
- We have FUN: Having fun is part of our work experience. We bring our culture to life by enjoying ourselves and eachother.
3. Other duties as needed to meet business needs
Competencies - To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following.
Analytical Skills – Collects and researches data. Designs workflows and procedures. Identifies data relationships and dependencies. Synthesizes complex or diverse information. Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Communications - Exhibits good listening and comprehension. Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form. Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally. Keeps others adequately informed. Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Planning and Organization - Integrates changes smoothly. Plans for additional resources. Prioritizes and plans work activities. Sets goals and objectives. Uses time efficiently. Works in an organized manner.
Problem Solving - Develops alternative solutions. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Identifies problems in a timely manner. Resolves problems in early stages. Works well in group problem solving situations.
Project Management - Communicates changes and progress. Completes projects on time and budget. Coordinates projects. Develops project plans. Manages project team activities.
Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Puts success of team above own interests.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in engineering or closely related discipline plus a minimum of 5 years field experience in the audio/video integration industry; a minimum of 3 years of experience in network engineering in addition to A/V experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Working knowledge of Video-Conferencing (Cisco, Polycom & LifeSize), VOIP Systems (Biamp, Polycom and ClearOne), Control systems (Crestron and Extron), DSP Systems (Biamp, Polycom and Clearone), Desktop Conferencing Solutions (Vidyo, Polycom) and Lighting Systems (Lutron & Brightline) will be required.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Certified for at least one core DSP product line: Biamp Tesira or Audia, Polycom SoundStructure, or ClearOne.
- Certified for desktop conferencing solutions Polycom or Vidyo a plus.
- Certified for either Crestron or AMX final levels of education a plus.
- CTS certified a plus
Other Requirements: Willingness and ability to work beyond 40 hours per week during peak periods to ensure client needs are met. Ability and willingness to travel as well as work evenings or weekends is required.
- Ability to command a field crew from onset to completion of an integrated solution.
- Strong written and verbal communication and customer service skills.
- Strong troubleshooting and decision-making skills.
- Ability to conduct a thorough site visit.
- Ability to document a high level of detail as it pertains to each project in a fast pace and changing environment.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
iSPACE environments is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, familial status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, status with regard to public assistance, or any other basis under law.