S/he reports to the CEO on strategic matters and board governance. Balances operational and mission critical priorities; monitors the organization’s financial status, facilitates operational and strategic financial planning. Oversees cost- benefit analysis, budget management, and forecasting. Work closely with the CEO and other senior leaders to advance the agency’s culture of collaboration, metric-driven accountability, data-driven decision making, and transparency.
Strategy and Continuous improvement
• Facilitate strategic planning
• Develop clear, measurable goals that are aligned with the organization’s strategy. Regularly develop, monitor and report out on plans to support goals. Collaborate with executive leadership to develop clear measurable goals that are aligned with the Corporation strategy.
• Work closely with the CEO and other senior leaders to advance the agency’s culture of collaboration, metric-driven accountability, data-driven decision making, and transparency. Develop systems and tools to provide critical operational information to the leadership team to inform actionable recommendations. Focus these efforts on priorities and Key Performance Indicators identified in DESC’s strategic plan. Coordinate with CAO and grants management staff to ensure their efforts to manage projects specific to grants are not duplicated and are in alignment with systems related to implementation and management of strategic plan.
• Anticipate issues and develop strategies to resolve operational concerns, execute on proposed corrective actions and follow up to ensure achieved
• Lead optimization, continuous improvement and overall operation efficiencies that result in the agency’s position as among the best-in-class for workforce agencies in the State. Oversee senior project manager with Lean training
• Work with heads of (Operations HR IT and Facilities )to ensure CEO is updated on internal operations in a timely fashion. Monitor and report on internal operations (HR, IT, Facilities, other as deemed necessary)
• Keep abreast of changes in workforce development legislation; anticipate and adapt fiscal procedures to ensure compliance.
• In collaboration with the Director of Finance, proactively manage cash flow and forecasting monthly. Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs and a regular forecasting process (needs analysis)
• Develop and ensure a ‘fiscal health’ mindset among all staff. Work with C-Suite and Director of Finance to ensure baseline understanding of key financial principles and goals across the organization.
• Oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including: revenue/expense and balance sheet reports for program review, reports to funding agencies, development and monitoring of organizational and contract/grant budgets.
• In collaboration with the COO and CPO, ensure that all relevant and forward-looking financial data and information are incorporated into key operational decisions.
• Provide strategic planning, governance consulting, and training to DESC departments as necessary.
• Facilitate strategic planning
• Develop engagement strategy for Board members
• Engage the board to develop short, medium, and long-term financial plans, projections, metrics, and reports.
• Engage the Board and committees as appropriate around issues, trends, and the resulting or potential impact on strategy and operations.
• Oversee staff to prepare Board meeting agendas and coordinate preparation of materials and all meeting logistics. Oversee staff that prepare and review minutes
• Coordinate with staff for Mayor’s Workforce Development Board to ensure activities are aligned and in full compliance with federal funding and other guidelines
Education and Experience:
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree, seven to ten years of progressively responsible experience in a senior leadership role. Master’s degree in accounting, business administration, public administration or a related field and CPA are preferred. JD experience is a plus. Must have experience with complex management for a nonprofit organization or government agency, including financial reporting, government contracts, and audit processes. Experience in an organization with multiple funding streams required. Position requires demonstrated ability to analyze complex financial data, interpret, explain, and apply applicable laws, rules, regulations, and policies.
CERTIFICATES AND/OR LICENSES
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an inside environment.
DESC offers a comprehensive benefits package and ongoing professional development opportunities, and more.
Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within our organization. DESC actively seeks applications from women, persons of color, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups.