Fairstead is a purpose driven, national real estate developer. We believe an organization united in worthy goals can improve individual lives, reshape communities, and spark societal change. We are committed to creative positive social, economic and environmental change in the lives of our residents and the communities we service and use these values to guide every decision we make. Our property management team specializes in improving and maintaining Fairstead communities through strengthening relationships with residents that foster a safe, healthy, high quality living experience. Our property Management team engages with its residents and neighborhoods to preserve each community’s unique identity and culture while maintaining its consistent, innovative, best practice approach.
Fairstead recently acquired a property that is undergoing a full rehabilitation and is seeking a General Manager with experience working at sites with large renovation and rehabilitation projects in process. The General Manager will oversee the day-to-day operations of an affordable portfolio, managing the site teams, working in tandem with Development, Construction, and external vendors during the rehabilitation into stabilization. In this role, the Community Manager oversees, plans, and manages the day-to-day operations of their assigned property. They are responsible for managing all on-site compliance activities and for the overall performance of the portfolio which includes direct oversight of the marketing program and financial performance.
Rehabilitation / Pre-Stabilization
- Working closely with Relocation and Construction teams and outside vendors, managing vendors and workers on site, and assisting Construction when Construction Manager is offsite.
- Partner with Relocation Coordinator with resident communication when needed.
- Participate in all construction and development calls, providing status updates of property performance and issues.
- Support relocation team when moving residents to another unit or offsite, to complete full unit renovations. Track location of residents and remain in contact with residents, answering questions, providing updates, and mitigating resident concerns.
- Distribute violations to residents who are non-compliant with house rules and regulations on and off-site.
- Mitigate any inconveniences to residents and community that maybe caused by ongoing construction projects.
- Partner with Compliance department to get residents and property compliant during initial certification phase.
Post-Rehabilitation / Stabilization
- Ensure adherence to laws relating to leasing, including but not limited to Departments of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Fair Housing, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Remains compliant and knowledgeable in all aspects of the HUD 4350.3 Handbook.
- Develops responses to regulatory agencies in coordination with the Compliance Department.
- Implements intervention strategies with Regional Managers and Compliance Department for tenants who are non-compliant with lease/compliance requirements.
- Prepares all site REAC reviews, EHS violations cleared, Management and Occupancy Reviews (MOR), Investor Site Reviews, Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) Reviews, and perform annual and interim recertification reviews.
- Assisting tenants with requests, questions, problems, and complaints. Monitors tenant and complex wide arrears and litigation cases. Attend monthly arrears meeting.
- Documents lease violations and coordinate evictions.
- Direct collection of monthly rents and late fees, process applications and pursue delinquencies through legal action and eviction. Monitor bad debt write-off.
- Alerting staff of move ins, move outs, any emergencies.
- Supervises, directs, and monitors the preventive, routine and emergency maintenance/repairs and is compliant with all regulations.
- Consistently works to clear HPD, ECB, DOB violation
- Coordinates vendor bids and contractor quotes.
- Conducts and documents unit inspections. Conduct bi-annual walk throughs with Building Superintendent.
- Create reports for review to ensure all buildings under the PM’s responsibility are properly maintained and building needs are appropriately noted, planned for, and addressed.
- Attend weekly construction meeting. Provide and obtain updates on various ongoing construction projects/unit renovations.
- Work with construction team on avoiding violations, inspections, necessary access.
- Prepare monthly financial cover sheet.
- Attend monthly financial catch-up meeting and monitor budgets.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To perform the job successfully, the following skills and/or experience is required to qualify for the position.
- Three (3) years management experience including supervising a team (property management, hospitality, retail or restaurant management).
- COS or CPO certification.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Flexible, outgoing, authentic, and confident personality
- Ability to thrive in an informal, yet fast-paced environment
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Promoting opportunities in the company and assist in building the team.
- EIV experience.
- Yardi experience preferred.
- TCS certification for tax credit properties.
- Able to effectively communicate with a range of people and personalities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with staff members and the community.
- Ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines.
- COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation: $95,000 - $120,000 + bonus eligible
Health Benefits: Generous employer contribution medical, dental. Employer paid vision.
- 15 PTO, 7 sick days
- Generous holiday schedule, paid maternity leave
Additional Benefits include:
- 401K Plan
- Flex Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Long Term Disability
- Nationwide Pet Insurance
Fairstead is a purpose-driven real estate firm dedicated to building sustainable communities across the country. Headquartered in New York, with offices in Colorado, Florida, Maryland, and South Carolina, Fairstead oversees a $7.8 billion portfolio in assets and identified pipeline, and owns and manages more than 170 communities across 28 states. Fairstead’s commitment to communities is realized through a comprehensive platform that leverages in-house expertise in acquisitions, development, design and construction, marketing, and property management. Fairstead also implements some of the industry’s most proactive sustainability, resiliency, and community impact programs to foster positive social, economic, and environmental change. In 2022, the company launched Fairstead Ventures, a proptech investment initiative dedicated to fundamentally changing the standards in the housing industry with a focus on energy and decarbonization.
Fairstead’s primary mission is to provide high quality housing to all regardless of income, and to make our stakeholders feel “Right at Home.” We accomplish this through an empathetic and innovative approach, and by utilizing our interdisciplinary platform as an investor, developer, owner, and operator. Fairstead provides hands-on expertise across all multifamily disciplines, including acquisitions, development, design, construction, energy, sustainability, property management and social services. With a long-term commitment to its residents, communities, and partners, the Fairstead team stands out by:
· Listening to and understanding the needs of its residents, communities, partners, and stakeholders alike
· Developing and preserving high quality affordable housing in an innovative and sustainable fashion
· Creating a positive social and environmental impact within the properties and communities it serves
Fairstead’s Core Values