The Education Coordinator for Student Education will serve as a resource to staff on the Itasca campuses, regarding educational planning and special education issues. The coordinator will also serve as a liaison between PCHAS, the public school and the Waxahachie campus charter
school as needed. The Coordinator will work as part of the Family team including Home Parents and Group Home Supervisors to implement educational services to enhance the success of PCHAS students.
1. Provide education case management for individual youth in residential facilities; facilitate assessments and services for their academic, social and psychological needs as a member of the team of professionals serving the children on the Waxahachie and Itasca campuses.
2. Assist the Group Home Supervisors and Home Parents to create an intentional community of learning, which promotes the value of education and active involvement in a variety of learning activities. This includes providing in-home support to Home Parents during study hours as well as supporting the Home Parents in providing a predictable, consistent structure in the group home.
3. The Education Coordinator will work with the Director of Education to provide preparation for adult living, afterschool programs, summer programs, daily homework completion and reading for enjoyment.
4. The Education Coordinator will work with Home Parents and Group Home Supervisors to create an alliance with school personnel, both in the public and charter school. The coordinator will attend parent conferences, ARD meetings and initiate meetings as necessary.
5. The Education Coordinator will assist the Group Home Supervisors to maintain the education binders for CPS students as well as the educational documentation for all other students in care.
6. The Education Coordinator will protect a youth's education rights, advocate on his or her behalf and safeguard the student's best interests for curriculum opportunities, school placement options and stability, interagency transition plans and the types of support to be provided.
7. Demonstrate effective collaboration across departmental lines.
8. Work with the Education Director and Advanced Education Coordinator to continually evaluate the PCHAS Educational Program.
9. Other duties as assigned.
Professional Growth and Development:
1. Develop professional skills, in collaboration with the Director of Education, which are appropriate to this job description.
2. Demonstrate professional, ethical, and responsible behavior.
The Student Education Coordinator will maintain an office with computer and other equipment necessary to complete tasks. Frequent travel between sites is required as well as local travel between program sites and public schools. Some evening work and/or overnight travel is expected. Requires the ability to drive and sit for several hours each day. No exceptional physical demand is expected.
Must have a Master's Degree in Education and experience in educational settings in elementary, middle school, and/or high school. Minimum 3 years experience in the teaching field. Experience in Special Education, School Counseling or School Social Work preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
Certified as a teacher in the State of Texas.
Must have a valid Texas Drivers License and meet the PCHAS Drivers Policy Standards.
Special Education Certification preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
Must be a self- starter and possess flexibility to plan and carry out a wide variety of job responsibilities . Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential as well as the ability to utilize technology to aide communication.
Working knowledge of curriculum, instruction and ability to work on team of professionals .
Working knowledge of best practices in meeting the educational, social and psychological needs of children in foster group care
Strong organizational, communication, public relations and interpersonal skills
Must be able to operate a computer utilizing Word, Excel, Outlook and program specific programs
Ability to work with Residential Directors to implement education programs on various campuses serving a variety of students.
Develop an understanding of the PCHAS Way particularly the Family Team process.
Presbyterian Children’s Homes and Services is a faith-based Christian organization. We provide Christ-centered care and support to children and families in need. We strive to serve like Jesus. We meet our clients where they are and treat them with respect. We focus on our clients’ strengths rather than their problems. And we encourage our clients to focus on their future rather than their past. When we do this well, we help our clients find hope and know the love of God.