Associate Dean for Academic Affairs is a new position. The person in this new role will manage initiatives at the heart of Spertus Institute’s mission: its acclaimed graduate, professional, and public programs. These core Spertus Institute offerings are rooted in thoughtfully constructed curricula and delivered by accomplished faculty, mentors, and presenters. A key thought partner in program development and growth, the Associate Dean is a critical member of the senior leadership of the institution.
- Administer all aspects of academic and certificate programs (in partnership with the Director of Academic Administration).
- Plan academic calendars (in partnership with Director of Academic Administration).
- Communicate regularly with students, and work to enhance the student experience (in partnership with Director of Academic Administration).
- Conduct ongoing curricular review of all academic and certificate programs (in partnership with the Dean/Chief Academic Officer).
- Identify potential new faculty and presenters across program areas.
- Engage in program evaluation and assessment of student learning (in partnership with the Dean/Chief Academic Officer).
- Generate and assist with generating student enrollment and other reports. These reports include those for the Higher Learning Commission, Illinois Board of Higher Education, Jewish United Fund, and key grantmaking foundations.
- Provide academic advising for students in Spertus Institute’s certificate, master’s, and doctoral programs. These students come from diverse backgrounds, bring varied academic and professional interests, and work in a broad range of professions.
- Develop and implement a system for regular student check-in.
- Support student progress for purposes of retention and completion.
- Support student enrollment growth, by working with recruitment and marketing team members to develop strategies for student recruitment, community or organizational collaboration, and strategic positioning of programs.
New Program Initiatives
- Explore new program opportunities and conduct market research.
- Evaluate ideas/recommendations for new programs.
- Develop business and implementation plans.
- Participate in think tanks, as relevant.
- Write short articles in areas of expertise and about the impact of our programs.
- Regularly scan the market within our existing programmatic areas to identify trends and opportunities.
- Occasionally teach courses across our programs, in area of expertise.
- Contribute to the preparation and reporting of grants and broader development efforts, as they relate to academic offerings.
- Represent the institution in the broader community through meetings, communal gatherings, alumni and student engagement, articulating its impact and aiding in brand awareness.
- Develop workshops and seminars to engage a broader audience with the work of the institution.
- Contribute to strategic resource development.
- Earned doctoral degree in a related field.
- Three to five years of experience in academic affairs or relevant administrative experience.
- Experience teaching in Jewish Studies, Nonprofit Management, Leadership Studies, or related fields.
- Must have strong communication skills, including written, verbal, and public speaking/presentation skills.
- Proven ability to strategically plan and successfully manage multiple simultaneous projects with numerous components and fixed deadlines.
- Demonstrated teaching and research skills.
- Proven success in working with diverse constituents.
- Language skills: Hebrew a plus.
The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs reports to the Dean/Chief Academic Officer.
Occasional travel is required.
Start Date: Flexible, but preferred by Fall 2023.
We will begin accepting applications for this position on June 26, applications will be reviewed beginning August 1, until position is filled. We will require that candidate submit a resume or vitae and cover letter.
Please note that Spertus Institute requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination status for employment.
Spertus Institute is an established DBA for Spertus College of Judaica.