Director of Academic Communications is a new position. The person who fills this role will develop integrated communications strategies to advance the institution’s position and capacity. This position includes both strategy and practice, so the Director of Academic Communications will also have a direct role in implementing the communications strategies they develop.
They will work closely with colleagues on the Academic, Marketing, and Development teams.
The Director of Academic Communications will develop integrated communications strategies to:
- Expand awareness of Spertus Institute and its work.
- Aid student recruitment efforts.
- Provide a communications platform for alumni initiatives and projects.
- Support fundraising and resource development.
- Strategy development will require the Director of Academic Communications to have or gain a platform of knowledge in the fields of Jewish communal work or higher education as well as familiarity with related publications and media outlets.
Writing and Editing
The Director of Academic Communications is an accomplished writer/editor. Because this position includes hands-on writing and editing as key components, the Director of Academic Communications will have a direct role in implementing the communications strategies they develop.
The Director of Academic Communications will:
- Meet with faculty, administrators, and key constituents to identify and develop communications to highlight thought leadership, academic initiatives, and impact.
- Communicate weighty material in ways that appeal to a range of audiences.
- Be a curious storyteller who can tease out compelling narratives from the activities of Spertus Institute trustees, donors, students, and alumni.
- Be a skilled communicator who is comfortable working in a range of formats, across media types, from long-format academic articles and grant proposals to creative briefs and media releases.
- Plan, develop, and disseminate information to keep the communities served and broader public informed about programs, accomplishments, etc. in order to elevate the brand, reputation, and awareness of the Institute.
- Working with the Marketing team, plan the implementation of digital and social media.
Publication and Placement
- Prepare materials for in-house publication, both in print and online, including the management of an academic section of the Spertus website focused on Ideas & Impact.
- Strategically develop leads and secure media placements in academic journals, professional publications, and mainstream media outlets, as well as select podcasts, blogs, and newsletters.
- Manage special publications.
- Contribute to the preparation and reporting of grants and fundraising communications as they relate to academic offerings.
- Represent the institution at strategic meetings, communal gatherings, and alumni and student engagement events, articulating its impact and aiding in brand awareness.
- Assist with broader community relations.
- BA/BS in Communications, Journalism, Education, or related field.
- Eight to ten years of experience with a focus on strategic communications or public relations.
- Must be an accomplished writer and editor.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, through writing and verbal presentation, with a range of audiences.
- Proven ability to strategically plan and successfully manage multiple simultaneous projects with numerous components and fixed deadlines.
- High degree of attention to detail and outstanding organizational skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse range of constituents and collaborate with a range colleagues.
- Knowledge of the Jewish community and/or higher education.
The Director of Academic Communications reports to the Dean/Chief Academic Officer.
This position includes opportunity for advancement within the organization.
We will begin accepting applications for this position on June 26, applications will be reviewed beginning August 1, until position is filled.
- We will require that candidate submit a resume, cover letter, and three writing samples.
Please note that Spertus Institute requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination status for employment.
Spertus Institute is an established DBA for Spertus College of Judaica.