BlueWave has an immediate opening for a Pennsylvania-based Senior Director, Solar Development to oversee project strategy, budgeting, development execution, permitting, pipeline management and project outcomes for BlueWave’s growing portfolio. This position will work hands-on in day to day project execution with the support of at least one direct report, with responsibilities including all permitting filings, contract negotiation and execution, management of project consultants, coordination with other teams and management of project budgets. BlueWave is at the forefront of exciting innovations in sustainable dual-use solar projects, including agrivoltaics and floating solar. The selected candidate will play a critical role in shaping those innovations in Pennsylvania and bringing cutting edge projects to fruition. This is an opportunity to join an established, high-performing solar and storage development team that has been leading the market in innovation and high-quality execution for over a decade. Strong written and verbal communication skills, a working understanding of the development process, attention to detail, creativity and thoroughness are essential to success in this position. This position will report to the Managing Director, Mid-Atlantic.
BlueWave's mission is to protect our planet by transforming access to renewable energy. As a pioneering renewable energy company that develops and owns solar and battery storage projects, BlueWave has a long track record of success and is developing several gigawatts of solar and battery storage projects throughout the United States to ensure our grid is reliable and efficient in a clean energy future. BlueWave is proud to be a certified B Corp, recognized by B Labs as "Best in the World" in Governance.
BlueWave provides employees with a robust benefits package, including unlimited paid time off, dedicated volunteer days, cell phone reimbursement, summer Fridays and 13 paid holidays. In addition, we offer a 401k and Roth 401K option with company match, subsidized health, dental and vision plans, as well as life insurance and long/short-term disability.
Inclusion at BlueWave:
As a mission-driven B Corp, as environmentalists, and as humans, we hold ourselves accountable to creating a workforce that celebrates diversity on our team and within our communities. Our inclusive culture and core values inspire us to develop more innovative, bolder solutions to support our customers and partners in the solar industry. When you join BlueWave, you join a collaborative team doing all that we can to be transparent, sustainable and inclusive as we fight for our shared vision of protecting the planet.
- Functioning as a Project Executive, lead development of a portfolio of solar opportunities in Pennsylvania (and other local markets as needed) to deliver projects on time and on budget
- Setting strategy for each project, chart course for execution and own project-level outcomes as the senior developer
- Understanding Pennsylvania solar, environmental and agricultural regulations and their impact on solar project development strategy and execution, with a particular focus on dual-use agrivoltaic projects
- Negotiating contracts and other key development documents with outside parties
- Representing BlueWave as a key member of the solar development team, including interactions with investors, engineers, contractors, consultants, landowners, permitting authorities and customers
- Presenting project-level spend at internal Investment Committee meetings to advance projects and release funding
- Utilizing BlueWave’s proprietary project management, document control and MIS tools to control and report on project progress
- Working with the Grid Integration team to set utility strategy on project-by-project basis and for the overall market
- Becoming familiar with all project documentation, regulatory requirements and milestones and monitor project progress against those requirements
- Implementing document control procedures, with particular focus on control documents
- Researching solar market trends and strategy
- Providing quantitative analytical support for key project development decisions
- Supervising and managing Development Analysts assigned to projects within your portfolio
- Managing all outside parties to achieve favorable results for projects under development
- Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree in a related field
- Background in or familiarity with civil engineering / environmental engineering
- At least 5-7 years of project development experience; Pennsylvania energy project development experience strongly preferred
- Strong working understanding of real estate law and project entitlement process
- Experience negotiating key agreements, preferably with landowners, vendors and municipalities
- Basic technical understanding of solar PV, energy storage and/or electrical grid infrastructure
- Self-starter that can catch up to speed quickly
- Proficiency with standard project management tools and financial modeling in Excel
- Familiarity with general project finance underwriting principles and DCF analysis
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Supervisory or management experience
- Able to think creatively to help streamline operations
- A great attitude and ability to be flexible
- Valid US driver’s license
- Ability to perform site visits
- Must be based in Pennsylvania or willing to relocate as needed to serve Pennsylvania and other Mid-Atlantic opportunities
- Familiarity with Pennsylvania state energy policies and incentive programs
- Familiarity with Pennsylvanialand permitting processes
- Experience developing storage-only and/or solar plus storage projects
- Familiarity or prior experience working with electric utilities
BlueWave is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and will do so by actively seeking to hire and promote diverse individuals throughout the company.
Providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment is critical to our identity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, handicap (disability), sexual orientation, gender identity/ or expression, genetics, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, military status or obligation or other protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.