Position Title: Quality Assurance Manager
Salary Classification: Exempt
Reports to: VP of Operations
Supervises: Quality Engineers, Quality Technicians, Receiving Technician, RMA and Technical Support Technicians
The Quality Assurance Manager is an experienced and highly capable leader responsible for maintaining the quality management system, compliance with ISO 9001:2015 standards, and for managing a team that promotes customer satisfaction and positively impacts the company’s financial performance through process and product improvements. This position will lead a dynamic QA department, document control team, and RMA Technical Support Department. Must champion defect reduction initiatives, establishing an effective quality management system, and implementing quality improvement activities as appropriate (i.e., Lean, Six Sigma, Team Building, etc.) to raise the performance of the company’s product lines, and to educate and train employees as to their impact in the quality management system.
JOB DUTIES: Include but are not limited to the following:
- Manages the department’s budget and other administrative functions to insure an efficient operation that is cost effective and well integrated.
- Formulates, communicates, and manages the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and systems pertaining to the ISO 9001:2015 certification and other regulatory functions and system requirements.
- Oversee document control department and ensure that existing policies and procedures are carried out accurately and effectively.
- Oversee quality aspects of Purchasing and Supply Chain including management of Approved Vendor list, Receiving Inspection and First Article inspection and approvals.
- Oversees root-cause analysis and other problem solving activities to identify effective corrective actions and process improvements.
- Oversee established calibration and testing program.
- Remain abreast of gauging, inspection, and statistical technology.
- Manage all internal Quality testing resources, including but not limited to, production line test fixtures, gauges, test firmware/software deployment.
- Supports concurrent engineering efforts by participating in design development projects representing Quality Assurance and the customer.
- Work closely with engineering on product technical support issues, new product introduction (design for test), and product testing and qualification.
- Designs, implements, and documents procedures for process control, process improvement, quality control, and system audits.
- Establishes collection and analysis systems of statistical data to predict trends that will affect improvement of product quality.
- Develop goals and objectives for all assigned personnel. Monitor employees' performance against goals, provide performance feedback. Write and conduct development plans / performance appraisals.
- Hold self and others accountable for delivering high quality results.
- Regularly evaluate self and team on goal attainment, process used to achieve goals, and competitive benchmarks.
- Monitors vendor performance to establish criteria and rating systems for critical vendors for performance feedback.
- Interfaces with supplier and customer quality representatives concerning problems with quality control and assures that effect corrective action is implemented.
- Lead a cost-effective inspection system adequate to ensure the quality of the products.
- Engage with customers and suppliers as necessary to support quality programs and/or issues and drive awareness of customer requirements throughout the organization.
- Drive suppliers to improve overall quality and on-time delivery.
- Collect and analyze data with regard to internal rejections, receiving inspection results, and customer certification issues reporting results at management review meeting to initiate improvement.
- Initiate, lead, and maintain defect prevention and corrective action programs based upon structured problem-solving efforts to improve quality performance utilizing 5-why, 8D, and various statistical tools.
- Develop training programs to ensure quality requirements and procedures are understood and met as well as to support development of quality personnel and manufacturing leaders.
- Conducts a quarterly management review of the quality system.
- Manage accurate reporting and inventory of MRB material. Manage Rework technician to ensure that rejection and internal scrap rates remain low and that rejects are processed quickly and efficiently through MRB/Rework process.
- Ensures that documentation and design controls are appropriate for organization
- Ensure vendors/subcontractors are manufacturing products according to product specifications.
- Responsible for overseeing RMA and Technical Support department. Must analyze tech call reports on ongoing basis and ensure that Monthly/Quarterly RMA and Tech call data is accurate. Using objective analysis of the data, highlight and address any emerging failure trends or customer complaints.
- Work with DOT’s and municipal stakeholders on submittals of new products for testing and/or renewals of existing product approvals.
- Work directly with outside sales team when necessary to manage end customer satisfaction and maintain the company’s core objective of “Delighted Customers”.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education: Bachelor's degree in engineering or, a related technical field, or equivalent.
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, organizational and follow-up skills
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- At least 5 years of work experience in quality assurance should be combined with a demonstrated track-record of accomplishments as a quality assurance manager, and with satisfying customers in technology-driven, developing companies.
- Proven experience in overseeing internal audits, addressing nonconformities, and conducting management reviews of quality systems.
- Strong knowledge and experience in ISO 9001:2015 standards and maintaining certification.
- Experience in managing inventory of MRB (Material Review Board) material and ensuring efficient processing through the MRB/Rework process.
- Familiarity with training personnel on applicable policies and procedures and maintaining training records.
- Knowledge of international quality system rules and regulations, including planning and implementation, is preferred.
- Proven leadership capabilities with the ability to inspire and motivate teams to achieve operational goals.
- Physical Demands Light Work – Lifting no more than 20 lbs
- The physical demands described here represent those that an employee must meet to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and operate an office computer/laptop most of the day. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision.
- Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here represent those an employee encounter while performing this job's essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Travel: Less than 5%