The Sr. Embedded Systems Engineer at Nielsen-Kellerman Co. (“NK”) is a multi-skilled engineer who is capable of working on many aspects of our portfolio of cloud-connected sports, weather and environmental instruments. From primary design of low-power circuits with integrated sensors and Bluetooth® low energy modules to crafting embedded C-code to drive full-stack “internet of things” solutions, the Sr. Embedded Systems Engineer will be a critical member of cross-functional teams designing our Kestrel and NK branded rugged products for reliability, accuracy and ease-of-use. Our products are counted on to save lives, go faster and shoot further. We are committed to US manufacturing and US ingenuity. As a successful 40-year old small company, we offer a casual work environment and job security with excellent benefits. This is at-will employment.
- Be an integral part of a “concept-to-customer” design team launching new low-power electronic products every year and sustaining and improving existing designs
- Independently apply extensive and diversified knowledge of electronic and software engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments
- Use advanced techniques in the application of theories and practices of electronic and software engineering disciplines to complete assignments
- Evaluate technologies for suitability to current and future product development goals
- Work on major projects and/or several projects of moderate scope with complex features
- Design digital microcontroller-based electronic circuitry employing a variety of sensors and wireless technologies such as BLE, WIFI, LoRaWAN and LTE-M
- Review schematics and PCB layouts, working closely with hardware engineers
- Work within limitations of low-power, battery-operated devices
- Design integrations with information flow from embedded products through wireless connections to apps and cloud systems
- Write and provide technical leadership for embedded C code in ARM-based microcontrollers
- Debug circuit designs to the board level
- Design for EMC compliance and other international compliance standards
- Use workflow systems, writing clear, effort-estimated, testable issues for sprints
- Provide technical leadership regarding embedded integration to mobile app and cloud teams
- Lead sprint scrum meetings, help populate new sprints/assign story points to issues
Personal Qualities for Success in this Job
- · Ability to work quickly yet carefully and within established standards and practices
- · Initiative to work independently combined with the judgement to ask appropriate questions
- · Self-organization to manage assignments to meet deadlines
- · Personal interest in being part of a smaller, entrepreneurial team designing products for cost-effective US manufacturing
- · Empathetic to user experience and interested in making products that are enjoyable to use as well as effective and reliable
- · Analytical and good at solving complex problems
- · Interested in learning new things
- · Open to feedback
- · Collaborative
Qualifications and Experience
- 4-year BS degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or other relevant engineering specialty or equivalent training, certifications or experience
- 7+ years of experience in design and development of electronic products including circuit design, board layout, and embedded firmware
- Knowledge and experience developing embedded systems incorporating wireless technologies such as BLE, WIFI, LoRaWAN and LTE-M/NB-IoT
- Experience in evaluating technologies for applicability and suitability
- Proficient in designing/writing modular, sharable, performant and low-power C code on bare metal and RTOS-based embedded systems
- Provide technical leadership regarding embedded interfacing to mobile app and cloud teams.
- Experience using Git, cloud-based source control systems like GitHub/GitLab and workflow systems such as Jira and ClickUp
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Visa sponsorship for work authorization is not available for this position now or in the future
- Experience in designing and coding for a low-power environment and maximizing battery operation
- Experience working with embedded ARM-based/SoC MCU devices including Nordic nRF52, Infineon PSoC 6, NXP Kinetis and Espressif EPS32 – including reference designs and development kits
- Experience with low-power wireless data transfer (BT, BTLE, Zigbee, ANT+, 6LoPAN, LoRaWAN)
- Experience with high throughput wireless data transfer (cellular, WiFi)
- Full-stack development knowledge
- Knowledge of agile approaches to product development
- Masters degree or other advanced certifications
This position does not have direct supervisory responsibilities. All development engineers are expected to function as project leads for some projects.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Climate-controlled indoor office with attached manufacturing facility. May be required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, climb or balance. Must be able to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Dogs in office.
Hours of Work
Monday to Friday. Some flexibility to set 40-hour schedule around core hours of 10am-4pm.
Most training is on-the-job but formal education and training may be provided where appropriate.
Travel / Work Location
Hybrid work environment that can accommodate remote work with some regular need to be in the office (likely 1-2x per week). NK’s facilities are located in Boothwyn, PA. Occasional travel may be required for training or working with consulting engineers.
This is a salaried position. Pay rate commensurate with qualifications and experience as well as company size. Annual bonus based on company and individual performance ranges averages 3 to 5% of compensation.
- Fully paid employee benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance
- Voluntary benefits include family medical, life insurance, critical care insurance, FSA dependent care and pet insurance
- Paid Maternity/Paternity Leave
- HSA with employer contribution
- 401k with employer match to 5% after 90 days
- 9 paid holidays, one floating holiday and flexible PTO
- All benefits are subject to a benefit waiting period of approximately 90 days
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Visa sponsorship for work authorization is not available for this position now or in the future
Equal Opportunity Employer – At Will Employment
NK is an equal opportunity employer. NK conducts all employment-related activities in full compliance with all applicable Federal and State laws and without regard to an individual’s age, color, gender, disability, marital status, national origin, citizenship, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or other legally protected category. No person will be discriminated against in hiring or in any other aspect of their employment including training, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits and all other aspects of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. This is at-will employment.
Nielsen-Kellerman is the parent company for eight brands focused on helping people succeed in their profession or passion by providing mission-critical measurements, information, insight and guidance whenever and wherever needed. Ambient Weather, Kestrel Weather, KestrelMet, RainWise, Kestrel Ballistics, MagnetoSpeed, Blue Ocean Megaphones and NK Sports are each recognized as the preeminent products for their applications from meteorology to military, firefighting to farming and rowing to research. Our products ARE us - we design them, build them, sell them, and passionately stand behind them.
NK has been in business for over four decades and is still growing stronger. Working here offers excellent opportunities for personal and professional development as well as the fun and satisfaction of being part of a successful American business. NK is a Lean enterprise committed to American manufacturing and continuous improvement of our design, production, administrative and sales processes.
NK's home office is located in Boothwyn, PA, about 30 minutes southwest of Philadelphia and our Ambient Weather brand operates primarily from Chandler, AZ in the Phoenix suburbs. NK's work environment is informal and high-energy, and our employees' quality of life is important to us. We have committed to a hybrid workplace with an emphasis on working from home for roles not directly involved in manufacturing and order fulfillment. We ensure our employees have the technology tools they need to be a productive, connected part of our team wherever they are. NK has been named a Philly Top Workplace 10 times, including 2023.