Job Title: Emergency Medical Technician FLSA Status: NON-EXEMPT
Division: Reports To: Area Supervisor
Purpose - To provide Basic Life Support patient care and ambulance transportation. Additional duties may be assigned.
Essential Job Functions
1) Provides emergency and non-emergency ambulance operations in conjunction with a partner, demonstrating excellent driving judgment and due regard for public safety during operation and positioning of unit.
2) Responds to all assigned calls in the most appropriate, safe, and efficient manner to quickly assess the scene and request other help if needed.
3) Provides BLS patient care in accordance with established policies, procedures and prescribed local protocols and clinical practices. Evaluates and treats patients with appropriate techniques, resources, and equipment.
4) May work with a Diver or another EMT on a BLS truck or be assigned to work with a Paramedic on an ALS truck, providing overall care in areas of patient assessment, packaging, and transport.
5) Completes appropriate medical records and transportation reports.
6) Maintains a thorough working knowledge of current EMT standards of care, including equipment function and use.
7) Maintains a thorough working knowledge of local geography, including mapping, street, and GPS systems.
8) Maintains units and equipment in a clean, organized and ready condition after each response.
9) Completes vehicle mechanical check off at the beginning of each shift ensuring that fuel, fluid levels and tire air pressure are adequate at all times. Reports equipment damage or malfunctions as prescribed.
10) Completes all station duties and maintains crew quarters in neat and serviceable conditions.
11) Must be able to physically report to work in a timely manner on a regular basis
Ambitrans Medical Transport, Inc.
Ambulance Management Services, LLC
Equal Opportunity Employers-all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Drug Free Workplace
QUALIFICATIONS required to perform ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Emergency clinical practices, procedures and protocol
Use of medical and related emergency equipment
Evaluating and treating patients
Exercising judgement, dexterity and physical c
oordination preparing clear and concise reports
Driving emergency vehicles
Behavioral and Physical Skills:
Ability to act calmly and quickly in emergency situations
Able to work independently as part of a team, sometimes alongside emergency fire and police units
Ability to create and maintain a positive and cooperative working environment in stressful situations
Can work during odd hours and for extended periods, sometimes outdoors and in adverse weather
Able to work with much standing, bending, and kneeling
Must be able to lift 50 pounds unassisted
Able to work with partner in lifting patients whose weight occasionally exceeds 250 pounds
Strength required but not limited to arms, legs, and shoulders to lift, push and pull patients with and without assistance at various times.
Able to avoid or minimize health risks from exposure to ill patients
Certification(s) and/or License(s):
Current Florida EMT certification (can be in the application process)
Current state of Florida driver’s license
Current CPR card
Education and/or Experience:
High School Graduate
Completion of coursework and ready to certify or already certified in emergency medicine
A minimum of one year of experience in the field as an EMT (preferred but not required))