About the Role:
A Chief Estimator is a professional responsible for providing accurate cost estimates for construction projects ranging from $10M-$100M. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), their primary role is to lead the estimating team and evaluate the costs associated with labor, materials, equipment, and other factors to determine the overall budget for a project.
What you will be doing:
- Cost Estimation: Analyzing project plans, specifications, and other relevant documents to determine the scope of work and estimate the costs involved. This includes evaluating labor requirements, materials, equipment, subcontractor services, and any other necessary resources.
- Quantity Takeoff: Performing quantity takeoffs from architectural and engineering drawings or other project documents to determine the quantities of materials and resources required for construction.
- Cost Analysis: Conducting cost analysis by researching market prices for labor, materials, and equipment to ensure accurate pricing and cost forecasting. Analyzing historical data from previous projects to inform cost estimates.
- Collaboration: Collaborating with project managers, owners and representatives, architects, and other stakeholders to gather information and understand project requirements. Providing cost-related advice and recommendations to support decision-making processes.
- Trade Partner Relationships: Building and developing trade partner relationships across various markets and understanding the specifics of each market.
- Proposal Preparation: Developing comprehensive and competitive bid proposals based on accurate cost estimates. Ensuring that proposals are aligned with project requirements, specifications, and budget constraints.
- Risk Assessment: Identifying and evaluating potential risks and uncertainties that could impact project costs. Providing recommendations for risk mitigation strategies and contingency plans.
- Documentation and Reporting: Maintaining detailed records of cost estimates, including assumptions, methodologies, and sources of information. Generating reports and presentations to communicate estimates, cost breakdowns, and any relevant cost-related information to stakeholders.
- Team Leadership: Supervising a team of estimators, providing mentorship, training, and support as required. Assigning tasks, reviewing their work, and ensuring accuracy and consistency in estimations.
Qualifications – Desired Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering, or a combination of related field/work experience.
- 10+ years prior experience as a lead Estimator.
- Experience with hard bids in the public works sector is preferred but not required.
- Understanding of self-perform work, production rates, man hours, and craft staffing.
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills, with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proficiency with Sage Timberline Estimating, ConstructConnect, BuildingConnected, Bluebeam, and MS Suite. Prior experience with project management software such as CMiC, Procore, Autodesk, and Phoenix scheduling.
- In-depth knowledge of construction methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Familiarity with project management principles and processes.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
What we offer:
- Our acclaimed Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- A generous Open Paid Leave Program and paid parental leave.
- Flexible benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 401(k) match
- Competitive compensation, cash bonuses, spot-bonuses
- Mileage reimbursement
- Cell phone reimbursement
- We are committed to positively impacting the communities where we live, work, and play through our Volunteer Time Off program.
Salary: Range of $140,000 to $170,000 annually. Salary is commensurate with technical skills and experience.