U.S. Soccer Overview
We are U.S. Soccer and we are the future of sport in the United States. Our mission is to make soccer the preeminent sport in the United States. We embrace diversity, technology and global connections to drive the growth of our sport and serve our athletes and fans. We seek motivated, passionate, skilled people who can think, create and work on a team.
U.S. Soccer is a growing company that looks for team members to grow with it. U.S. Soccer offers a comprehensive compensation package, casual work environment, an inclusive culture and an atmosphere for professional development.
The Federation’s core principles set organization-wide standards to identify and foster our culture and inform how we interact and hold each other accountable. These principles guide U.S. Soccer: We Win Together. We Aim High. We Champion Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. To be successful as a USSF employee, it is critical to demonstrate and live up to these principles every day and with every interaction with peers, stakeholders, and partners.
The Federation’s core values are the individual attributes and characteristics that staff embody to uphold the organization’s principles and succeed. These values guide our employees: Integrity. Commitment. Teamwork. Respect.
As an experienced contributing member of the Finance department at U.S. Soccer, this position reports to the Director, Accounting. The ideal candidate for this role is someone with practical accounting experience who is looking to enter or continue a career in the sports finance industry. The Senior Accountant supports the Finance department with all organizational financial needs, including significant involvement in the audit and tax processes, AP/AR processes, journal entry preparation and review, monthly financial reporting, expense reimbursements, and assisting with the management of the organization’s financial accounting system.
- Perform accounting activities such as the input or review of journal entries, account reconciliations, and contribute to an efficient monthly close
- Oversee the accounts receivable process, including cash receipts and collections
- Prepare and review audit and tax schedules and assist in tax filings
- Drive the accounts payable payment processes along with managing the vendor database
- Analyze and generate monthly financial statements
- Contributes to accounting decisions and discussions with research and communication
- Supports the Federation’s expense management platform, corporate credit card program, and assists with related technology migrations of financial programs
- Supports the relationship between the Finance and Competitions Departments with regards to International Games closeouts
- Train and develop Staff Accountant(s) and/or Accounting Associate(s)
- Supports special projects and additional analysis as required
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required
- 1-3 years of accounting experience
- Strong understanding of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and comfortability with journal entry debits and credits
- Proficient skills with Microsoft Office products including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong verbal, written, and in-person communication skills
- Ability to execute under pressure and deadlines
- Exceptional time management skills and ability to prioritize workflow
- Public accounting experience
- Familiarity with recent accounting pronouncements and standards
- Knowledge in the tax field related to not-for-profit taxation and sales taxes
- Experience with an ERP (Sage, SAP, Oracle, NetSuite, MIP, etc.) and reporting systems
- Experience with expense management (Chrome River, Concur, Adobe etc.) and finance software
- Involvement in business, finance, or accounting related organizations
- Passion for soccer is a plus
U.S Soccer is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, genetic information, military status, political belief, or any other characteristic protected under the law. This policy applies to all our employment practices within our organization.
We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA, veterans, parents, and persons with disabilities to apply.