The Case Manager/Job Coach is responsible for assessing performance, evaluating progress, and reporting on client services, challenges, and outcomes. This position works with high-need jobseekers from vulnerable populations to support their career development, offer counseling services, and assist clients with both their near- and long-term employment goals. The case manager/job coach pinpoints barriers to employment and makes referrals to community partners and organizations to equip clients with the skills and behaviors needed to overcome these challenges. The case manager/job coach will work closely with the lead case manager and other case managers/job coaches to coordinate services and closely monitor their caseloads. The case manager/job coach will lead the development and facilitation of work readiness classes, learning and support groups, and career pathway exploration sessions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBIILTIES:
- Serves as case manager/career coach to hard-to-employ jobseekers seeking stable employment with a family-sustaining wages
- Monitors clients throughout placement and assists in evaluating progress of clients’ skills and work performance while meeting employer expectations
- Performs comprehensive assessments of all clients to make informed career recommendations
- Assists clients with resume development
- Carefully matches clients with both transitional work experiences (TWEs) and permanent, unsubsidized employment
- Collaborates with the business services division to establish sustainable employer partnerships with Detroit businesses
- Maintains a database of background-friendly employers willing to hire program clients with recent convictions
- Works closely with employers to develop lasting relationships and effective retention strategies
- Collaborates with DESC staff and partners to deliver work readiness curriculum
- Ensures that work readiness courses are interactive, engaging, and inclusive of clients of all skill levels and learning styles
- Creates career awareness and exploration activities such as on-site and virtual presentations
- Helps clients think through and set attainable career goals and develop actionable plans with clear timelines and next steps
- Ensures timely problem solving between employers, DESC staff, and clients
- Refers clients to additional job readiness or academic support to appropriate service providers or DESC staff
- Completes paperwork and maintains organized and accurate client notes through our internal data management system in a timely manner
SKILLS AND SPECIFICATIONS:
- Demonstrated experience in mental health and counseling
- Professional experience in serving job seekers facing severe barriers to employment and workforce/career development
- Must possess excellent time management, communication, and listening, and organizational skills with a high attention to detail
- Maintain extreme confidentiality and discretion at all times. Maintain an appropriate filing system for all confidential materials.
- Strong knowledge of local employers, hiring trends and in-demand skillsets
- Client-driven and committed to timely, responsive, and exceptional service to employers and clients
- Must be proficient with a variety of online and computer technologies; particularly Microsoft Windows environment, Adobe systems and demonstrate skills in database management
- Bachelor’s degree in education, social work, administration, criminal justice or related human service field preferred, but not required and 3-5 years of experience in employment-related or case management social service settings.
- Experience in providing counseling services to difficult to employ or vulnerable populations.
- Should have experience working with hard-to-employ and special needs populations facing multiple barriers to stable employment.
Valid State of Michigan Driver’s License – Position requires field work.
Background check and drug screen required.