The Mayor’s Workforce Development Board (MWDB) is directly responsible and accountable to the State of Michigan, Workforce Development Agency (WDA) for the planning and oversight of talent development programs in the City of Detroit. Designated by the MWDB, Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) serves as the fiscal and administrative entity that provides workforce services to job seekers and employers. DESC manages the Detroit Michigan Works! One-Stop Service Centers branded locally as Detroit at Work Career Centers.
A well organized, detail oriented, and proactive professional is sought to provide a wide range of executive level administrative and project management support for the Executive Director of the Mayor’s Office of Workforce Development. The Senior Project Coordinator will serve a vital role on the MOWD team, coordinating the activities, meetings and correspondences of the Executive Director and leading special projects. The Senior Project Coordinator will also schedule and organize all public meetings held by the MOWD team, including quarterly meetings of the Mayor’s Workforce Development Board.
The Senior Project Coordinator will also assist in managing the overall work from the Mayor’s Office of Workforce Development. Some of this will include:
• Proactively provide scheduling support and coordination for the Executive Director, including coordination of meetings, appointments and travel arrangements with minimal input and direction.
• Coordinate and attend internal, external and Mayor’s Workforce Development Board meetings. Record, transcribe and distribute minutes. Track follow-up actions required.
• Provide daily project coordination and administrative support to other senior Mayor’s Office of Workforce Development staff
• Develop project management tools to support department activities, address inter-dependencies, keep to milestones, and provide progress reports where appropriate.
• Prepare, assemble, format, and modify documents including executive correspondence, briefing materials, reports, drafts, memos and emails. Revise, edit and proofread various documents with keen attention to detail.
• Prepare time-sheets, expense reports and credit card statements per company guidelines
• Prepare written responses to routine inquiries.
• Manage special projects and assume responsibilities as assigned.
• Meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and handle multiple activities and tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
• Actively anticipate cross-functional issues, propose solutions and communicate in a timely manner.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Basic data interpretation skills
• Skilled at working with diverse groups of executives, community members, and City staff members
• Strong critical thinking skills and ability to resolve complex problems
• Proven ability to and penchant for constructive conflict resolution required
• Ability to work autonomously, exercise decision-making skills, self-directed and motivated
• Computer software experience including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook applications.
Experience with Salesforce and/or SharePoint highly desirable.
• Skilled at organizing work tasks, meeting deadlines and producing accurate and complete work products.
• Flexibility to support a variety of MOWD projects
• Ability to discern highly confidential materials and documents and maintains confidentiality.
• Capacity to work independently as well as part of a team to accomplish common goals
• Excellent writing and proofreading abilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Post-secondary degree or credential(s) in an associated field, combined with a minimum of five (5) years of experience in an administrative or project manager role while reporting to an executive is required; An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted