American Farmland Trust is the only national organization that takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land itself, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres, and helped thousands of farm families make a go of it (primarily through programs that increase farm viability and/or enhance farmland access). Long a pioneering leader, AFT is now riding a new wave of growth, driven by agriculture’s most pressing needs and opportunities.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are inclusive. We embrace differences. We recognize and respect the fundamental value and dignity of all our employees. We celebrate the unique traditions, heritages, and experiences our employees bring to the workplace. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive culture that promotes and values diversity, and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, expression or identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
As an integral part of the AFT finance team, the Accounts Payable Specialist responsible for a centralized disbursement function, which includes all expense management related functions as well as reconciliations to ensure accounts payable reporting deadlines and requirements are met and accuracy is maintained.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review all payables for approvals, coding, and accuracy prior to performing data entry into accounts payable system, Concur.
- Processes daily cash receipts and makes bank deposit.
- Prepares journal entries, maintains ledgers, prepares detailed cost accounting information, and reconciles reports and ledgers for fixed assets, capitalized items, and expense accounts.
- Decides proper handling of financial transactions; approves transactions within designated limits.
- Oversee corporate credit card program.
- Process annual 1099’s.
- Manage integration of accounts payable information to general ledger.
- Assist team with creating policies and procedures for efficient accounts payable solutions.
- Assist with annual audit as needed; provide support files created during the fiscal year.
- Communicates compliance problems to supervisor for resolution.
This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
- Knowledge of GAAP principles, practices, regulations, and procedures as they relate to accounts payable.
- Knowledge of automated software systems such as Concur, Intacct, and Microsoft Dynamics.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication. Must be able to give training and orientation to new hires for expenses processes.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- A team player with strong customer service orientation to internal and external stakeholders.
- High level of ethics, integrity, transparency, and trust worthiness.
- Keeps commitments, maintains confidentiality.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
- Demonstrates thoroughness and success with detail work.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related area; OR 4-year accounts payable, accounting or related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
- Expertise with Concur.
- Expertise with Microsoft Excel; including VLookUp and Macros.
Why you should apply
- Be a part of a purpose-driven, committed, knowledgeable, high-performing, experienced and fun team
- A diverse and inclusive work environment
- A cause and mission you can be proud of
- Competitive compensation & benefits
- Remote work opportunities
- Flexible scheduling
Ready to apply? If this job sounds like a fit for you, then click on the ‘apply’ button below. Please answer the screener questions and be sure to include a cover letter and resume to be considered.