Do you dream in script and eat HTML for lunch? Are you passionate about food, farms, and farmers? Have you managed and improved web assets for national brands or organizations? Do you want to work somewhere that makes an impact and offers competitive benefits? Read on.
About American Farmland Trust
American Farmland Trust takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.8 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres and
helped thousands of farm families improve viability.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are inclusive. We embrace differences. We recognize and respect the fundamental value and dignity of all our employees. We celebrate the unique traditions, heritages, and experiences our employees bring to the workplace. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive culture that promotes and values diversity, and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, expression or identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
American Farmland Trust (AFT) seeks a talented Web Developer who will be responsible for redesigning, maintaining, and creating new WordPress-based websites and/or other CMS and apps, ensuring that they are efficient, secure, and user-friendly while adhering to our mission and brand.
As an integral member of AFT’s National Communications department, the Web Developer supports key communications activities by maintaining and improving key digital assets such as farmland.org and markets.farmland.org, where tens of thousands of supporters, partners and the public come each month to learn about our research, dig into stories of success and share resources to save the land that sustains us all.
The Web Developer reports to the Director of Marketing, Outreach, and Digital Communications and works under the supervision of the Digital Communications Associate. This new specialist role provides greater capacity to integrate digital communications and will collaborate across the organization with staff to support existing and new web projects and features, develop ad hoc solutions, and implement innovations for the organization as needed.
The ideal candidate will have extensive frontend and backend experience in developing custom WordPress themes and plugins, as well as a strong understanding of WordPress architecture and functionality while bring experience working with outside vendors and implementing recommendations for other CMS, web, and marketing technologies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Redesign, develop, and maintain visually engaging and responsive WordPress websites or other CMS in both frontend and backend.
- Optimize websites for usability, search engine visibility, performance, scalability, and compliance.
- Implement and support e-commerce feature sets and third-party integrations.
- Collaborate with staff organization-wide to support existing and new website properties.
- Create mockups, wireframes, and prototypes based on organizational goals.
- Translate UI/UX design wireframes and mockups to pages.
- Create HTML and CSS for email template customization in Salsa and EveryAction.
- This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
- A passion for web development, and the nonprofit mission of AFT.
- Proven experience with web design principles, UI/UX design, and responsive design technique.
- Experience with Google Tag Manager, SEO, analytics, and reporting tools such as SEMRush, Moz, Ahrefs, Google Search Console, Google Analytics 4, etc.
- Experience with cross-browser compatibility issues and testing.
- Strong understanding of website security, performance optimization, and backup procedures.
- Experience with email marketing platforms such as Salsa or EveryAction.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work remotely, collaboratively, and effectively within a faced-paced environment across multiple time zones.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities, adhere to deadlines and be accountable.
- Individual must be authorized to work in the U.S. as AFT does not sponsor applicants for work visas.
- This position is also an in-house, permanent, full-time (40/hour a week) position.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree (or associates with extra experience) in computer science, web development, or a related field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in frontend and backend web development, with a strong focus on custom WordPress themes.
- Portfolio, samples, and references preferred.
Why you should apply
- Competitive compensation & benefits.
- Remote work opportunities and flexible scheduling.
- Purpose-driven, committed, high-performing, and experienced staff.
- A family-friendly, diverse, and inclusive work environment.
- An organization that you can be proud to serve.
Ready to apply? If this job sounds like a fit for you, then click on the ‘apply’ button below. Please answer the screener questions and be sure to include a cover letter and resume to be considered.