The Quality Assurance Technician will be a quality advocate for the facility, providing leadership for the quality and food safety systems and programs. Key drivers are assuring compliance of finished products to established food safety and quality specifications. The Quality Assurance Technician is responsible for monitoring compliance to facility food safety programs, sanitation programs, and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) as mandated by government agencies, GFSI, and company policies and procedures.
- Performs or ensures that validation and verification activities as directed and documented in the Food Safety and HACCP Plans and Safety Quality Food (SQF) programs are completed as required.
- Performs and documents regular GMP inspections and other food safety and quality inspections and audits. Coordinates with production staff to ensure that corrections or corrective actions for identified deficiencies are implemented and maintained.
- Conducts CCP monitoring activities, including metal detector checks, label verification, and cooking temperatures.
- Assists during any regulatory audits, government inspections, 3rd party inspections, corporate audits, and customer visits.
- Monitors compliance to key elements of the allergen control program, including labeling, segregation, storage, clean-up, and validation and verification activities.
- Monitors and ensures staff compliance to food safety and quality policies and procedures, most notably facility GMPs.
- Assists in maintaining documentation of customer complaints and contacts. Assists in the investigation of customer complaints as requested.
- Performs pre-operational inspections.
- Attends or completes training as required or requested to improve personal knowledge of current food safety regulations and practices.
- Conducts testing and sampling to support the allergen control program, environmental monitoring program, shelf life program, product testing, and sanitation assurance.
- Brings any on-going or significant food safety or quality assurance issues to the attention of senior quality assurance personnel.
- Reviews facility food safety and quality assurance documentation and records for accuracy and completeness. Addresses any deficiencies with production staff as needed.
- Monitors product holds to ensure that non-conforming items are segregated, tagged, and properly documented.
- Maintains, calibrates, and/or verifies facility equipment used for monitoring compliance to food safety and quality limits and specifications.
- Assists in the review and maintenance of supplier quality documentation.
- Works cross functionally with other departments to support the efficient adoption of food safety and quality practices and actively work to find solutions to barriers to adoption.
- Member of the facility HACCP / Food Safety Team and attends team meetings.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned or required by business needs.
· Associates or bachelors degree in a scientific discipline (chemistry, biology, etc.)
· Quality Assurance and/or food industry experience.
· Knowledge of food manufacturing equipment and processes.
· Experience working with and knowledge of FDA/USDA regulations preferred.
· Knowledge of GFSI auditing schemes preferred.
· Oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, and superior organizational abilities.
· Ability to take initiative, maintain confidentiality, meet deadlines, and work in a team
· Strong attention to detail.
· Ability to work different shifts, mornings, evenings, and some weekends.
· Microsoft Office experience.