To assist in the provision of a wide variety of person centered supports and services with a strong emphasis on personal choice to individuals with developmental disabilities in their own health care. Actively assist the Health Coordinator with in program functions such as; special bathing, assurance medications are stored and ordered appropriately, teach provision of nutritious meals, influence and support individuals and DSP’s with nursing standards of care, i.e. bathing, repositioning, dressings as directed by RN. Frequent presence in the Residential Program in the evening, on overnight and or weekends as necessary to support the individuals and the DSP’s. Willingness to participate in an on-call rotation.
- Act under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse.
- Actively promote/influence/teach team members regarding health/medical information at various meetings. Seek opportunities to train DSP’s in matters related to health and nutrition.
- Communicate and document medical/health information to health coordinators, individuals as appropriate, families, and staff in accordance with HIPAA standards
- Compile information for the RN for the Surrogate Decision Making Committee packets.
- Assist with medical/health appointments to provide support and information, including attending the appointment if it would benefit the individual.
- Visit hospitalized/ill individuals to offer support, obtain and communicate information to the RN.
- Frequent presence in the Residential Program in the evening, on overnight and or weekends as necessary to support the individuals and the DSP’s – maintain flexible schedule.
- Develop and maintain a positive, influential and supportive professional relationship with all parties.
- Assist the RN in scheduling and administering Heptavax, flu vaccine and PPD’s (RN will read results).
- Administer medications, as needed in programs and provide direct care if requested by your supervisor.
- Pursue a deep knowledge of Therap to document contemporaneous notes and to assist others in the programs with data entry.
- Seek/guide/and influence DSP’s in their provision of “delegated health services.”
- Assist in ensuring compliance with appropriate regulations, policies and procedures.
- Audit and maintain health/medical department’s files to ensure information is current (personal information sheet, medical problem lists).
- Conduct Medication Cabinet audits as requested, document results; assure action is taken to address deficiencies and report findings to the Lead Nurse and Residential Manager.
- Any and all other related duties as requested by supervisor.
Responsible To: Lead Health Coordinator - RN
LOCATION: SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY - THIS IS NOT A REMOTE POSITION,
- Current/ Valid New York State Practical Nurse License.
- One year post-licensing experience (med/surg, nursing home, hospital, etc.).
- Experience working with people with developmental disabilities and traumatic brain injury, preferred.
- Current CPR Certification
- Valid New York State driver’s license.
- Flexibility with schedule to meet individual needs and to positively influence, support and teach DSP’s
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Organizational and time management skills.
Lifting/transferring individuals/items of various weights (50# minimum).