Founded in November of 1992, SynTerra is an employee-owned science and engineering consulting firm. We help clients meet business objectives and address technical challenges in innovative and cost-effective ways. With offices throughout the Southeast, SynTerra works with clients on governmental, industrial, economic development, and commercial projects. Our mission is to foster our client’s success by helping to balance technical, economic, and social considerations.
SynTerra is seeking two full-time Project Geologists to support multiple project managers across a group of sites/projects in our Assessment and Remediation Department. These positions ae currently based in our Greenville, SC headquarters; however, we can discuss placement in other SynTerra offices (Charlotte and Cary, NC) with qualified candidates. The Project Geologist is often the most visible staff member to the client and should build relationships with site personnel. The Project Geologist provides direction and review to the project team during the execution of environmental site assessments and corrective action evaluations. This position will support SynTerra’s vision to be a valued partner to our clients and an asset within our communities. Our employees mindfully work to leave the world a better place through our commitment to balance the environmental effects of human activity.
Responsibilities: (The following is a list of responsibilities of this position, but is not intended to cover all duties that this position may be required to perform from time to time.)
- Provides outstanding client services for projects within the Assessment and Remediation business unit.
- Understands client objectives and develops plans to inform solutions to those objectives.
- Understands regulatory requirement of various state and federal programs.
- Works with others to design and implement corrective action solutions.
- Plans and implements assessment activities.
- Prepares a wide variety of recurring and nonrecurring correspondence, reports, and other documents from information obtained from the staff, files, and other sources.
- Independently notes and follows-up on professional commitments made at meetings, or as agreed upon with other staff members.
- Creates a variety of quality outputs in a professional and timely manner.
- Interprets annotations, construction plans, historical references, interviews, on-site investigations, and site plans in developing the appropriate document submission to satisfy client’s needs.
- Works independently on a variety of technical duties.
- Serves as a fully qualified team member in field activities as needed and/or office projects.
- Effectively communicates with internal and external clients.
- Provides accurate, detailed, and high-quality products.
- Complies with all current policies and procedures of SynTerra.
- Complies with all Health and Safety training in order to maintain a safe working environment.
- Full-Time employees: Available to work 40 hours per week, plus additional hours as needed to meet project deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned by the Group Leader or their designee.
- Bachelor’s degree in geology or related environmental sciences or engineering field is required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Interested in both entry-level and mid-level candidates
- The ability to attain professional licensure desired (e.g., professional geologist, professional engineer).
- Software proficiency (including but not limited to): Adobe Acrobat, Google Earth Pro, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- 40 hr. OSHA HAZWOPER trained a plus.
- Working knowledge of field investigation methods (e.g., drilling, monitoring well installation, sampling of soil, groundwater, sediments, surface water and air).
- Strong written and oral communication skills for all levels of technical understanding.
- Must maintain valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
Physical Demands/Working Environment:
- The Project Geologist must be able to concentrate for extended periods of time paying close attention to detail.
- The Project Geologist’s work environment involves work in both indoor and outdoor settings in environments ranging from climate controlled office space to areas where dust, noise, and outdoor weather conditions may be present.
- May sit or stand for several hours at a time and climb inclines (terrains, ladders, etc.).
- The Project Geologist must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Travel throughout client service area is required as needed.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas for this position.
SynTerra is an equal opportunity employer.
Hiring, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination and all other employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, creed, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, medical needs arising from pregnancy or childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth, including, but not limited to, lactation, or any other characteristics protected by law, unless a bona fide occupational qualification applies.