Under the supervision of the Sports Director, this position is responsible for the teaching of youth Track Club program to youth 5-18 years old, in compliance with the standards, policies and procedures of the Ann Arbor YMCA. Track Club coaches must use organizational and communication skills as well as the ability to develop and implement effective lesson plans.
- Monitor, and organize recreational activities for the Track Club
- Oversee set up and break down of scheduled activities.
- Ensure ongoing availability of programs to meet the needs of the community. Review and evaluate member participation and requests and communicate these findings to the Sports Director.
- Monitor and maintain facilities and equipment.
- Speak with parents and participants on a regular basis to ensure knowledge of schedules.
- Deliver YMCA Youth Sports programs to children ages 5-18.
- Coach youth while promoting YMCA character values to ensure a positive early sports experience for all participants.
- Develop and implement program activities and lesson plans that provide youth with positive first experiences in physical activity.
- Facilitate an environment where children can develop social skills such as cooperation, teamwork, negotiation skills, and verbal communication skills to resolve interpersonal conflicts.
- Ensure the safety of all participants that are taking part in the program and be prepared to respond in case of a medical emergency.
- Develop relationships with all members to provide pathways for involvement in programs and membership.
- Be an advocate for the Y’s cause through regular communication within the gym.
- Provide educational materials for families on healthy living and oversee member engagement opportunities in designated areas.
- Supervise track activities at off-site locations. Use good judgment to ensure the safety and well-being of all program participants.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate records of program participants, help check in program participants and relay any relevant information to participant caretakers.
- Use good judgment to ensure the safety and well-being of all program participants.
- Assists in delivery and success of annual campaign.
- Work in tandem with volunteer coaches and parents while maintaining a safe activity space during program practices.
- Position requires medium physical effort to assist with setting up program equipment each day with the support of other staff.
- Supervise and maintain equipment in order to provide high quality facilities and programs.
- Shared responsibility for member service and membership retention. This position provides a positive first point of contact for new members and suggests ways for families to become more connected to the YMCA.
- Attend scheduled staff meetings.
- Read and respond to all YMCA communications including but not limited to email daily.
- Promote the value of diversity and the importance of being an inclusive organization to others inside and outside of the organization.
- A minimum of 6 months of track and field related experience is required; one (1) year is preferred.
- High School degree or equivalent is required.
- Must have access to reliable transportation to be able to monitor activities at off-site locations with a goal of enforcing YMCA core values program rules.
- Must be CPR and First Aid certified within 60 days of employment.
- Must have knowledge of, and/or training in conflict resolution.
- Must be able to develop timely and effective communication strategies to encourage gymnasium activities participants to abide by facility rules and schedules.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Must be able to assist a small to average size child weighing up to 180 pounds.
- Must be able to lift and carry food and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
- Ability to view/enter data for long periods of time.