WORK LOCATION: Wayne County Healthy Community - Hamtramck, MI 48212
POAITION SUMMARY: The Medical Assistant is responsible for a variety of medical related tasks in support of the work of the Physician and medical team providers. These duties include preparation of exam rooms and electronically updating patient charts, preparing patient for visit with provider, taking and documenting vitals, assisting with exams, assisting with procedures, follow-up with patients providing instruction and education to patient, maintenance of logs, processing orders from the provider, inputting results of tests and labs in charts, making referrals, providing and documenting immunizations and other duties as assigned by the Medical practitioners.
- Performs all duties necessary to assist the medical staff in serving patients.
- Provides reception duties for WIC patients, registering them for appointments, scheduling appointments including COVID testing and vaccine appointments, and providing program information.
- Provides COVID-19 vaccines.
- Assists with COVID-19 vaccine appointment registration & rooming patients.
- Prepares exam room for clinician examination.
- Prepares and completes EHR chart and superbills insured all diagnosis codes and appropriate notations are included. Exceptions and/or errors are to be completed or referred to the provider for completion/correction.
- Retrieves/reviews patient charts ensuring all test results, labs, or other documentation is included in the patient chart before the patient is turned over to the provider for examination.
- Assigns patients to exam rooms and provides a status check periodically to patients who wait for the provider, so the patient knows when to expect the provider.
- Obtain and record patient vitals (Blood pressure, temperature, defining chief complaints, medical history review, etc.)
- Advises medical practitioner/WIC staff when patient is ready for exam & informs provider of abnormal findings.
- Institute special precautions in the clinical area when checking-in patients when instances of suspected communicable diseases are reported.
- Ensure that medical equipment/instruments are cleaned and sanitized prior to use.
- Set-up exam/procedure room with necessary equipment, instruments, PPE, etc. as required by provided.
- Assists the clinician in the actual exam.
- Performs minor procedures i.e., suture removal, staple removal, colonoscopy, ear lavage, etc.
- Provides patient immunizations and/or injections and records such in MICR, the patient record and any other appropriate record.
- Maintain timely and accurate logs for immunizations including record of dispensed immunizations, temperature logs, incident documentation, etc.
- Provides therapeutic treatments and administers medication.
- Performs lab tests i.e., urine, glucose, pregnancy test, and any follow-up work such as EKG or blood draws.
- Performs testing i.e., visual acuity, tympanogram.
- Cleans and sanitizes exam/procedure rooms after each patient visit.
- Ensure all bio-hazard equipment, instruments, materials, PPE, etc. are properly disposed of
- Completes any necessary forms for clinician review and does follow-up such as prescription call-in or submission to the patient, completing a referral or putting in lab orders.
- Processes mail or patient requests for information for clinician review and approval
- Contacts patients to schedule follow-up appoints for test results.
- Answer calls from patients
- Operates medical equipment for testing, cleaning i.e., autoclave, blood glucose monitor.
- Maintains clinical supplies in exam rooms and does necessary re-ordering of supplies.
- Maintains proper functioning and sterilization of medical equipment.
- Performs other functions as determined by the medical and WIC staff.
- School Diploma
- One (1) year experience in a healthcare environment
- One (1) year experience providing office reception services.
- Possession of a Medical Assistant Certificate.
- Completion of a Certified Medical Assistant program and/or Registered Medical Assistant Certification is desired.
- Preferred ability to speak, read and write in Arabic and Bengali
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficiency creating, using and maintaining electronic medical records in EHS and EMR
- Ability to develop and effectively maintain relationships with vendors/providers for EHS, EMR, and or other services related to maintaining electronic records and the data therein.
- Must demonstrate and competently understand the sensitivity and confidentiality status of the patients’ information.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of medical terminology.
- Must possess valid driver’s license.
- Must adhere to the Confidentiality and HIPAA policies.
- Skilled with working in a complex work environment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times and maintain organizationally appropriate relationships.
- Knowledge of organization policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of computer, systems, and applications.
- Skilled in exercising initiative, appropriate judgment, problem-solving and decision making.
- Skilled in developing and maintaining effective relationships with patients, customers and other staff.
SALARY: $16 hourly
- Health insurance, Dental insurance, and Vision insurance
- 401a & 403b
- Long Term Disability
- Employee assistance program
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Please contact SEMHA HR Department if you need assistance to upload resume or make application online.