WHO WE ARE
Based in Plain City, Ohio, Select Sires Inc. is the largest global A.I. cooperative and comprises six farmer-owned and -controlled local organizations in the United States. As the industry leader, it provides highly fertile semen and excellence in service and programs to supply dairy and beef producers with the world's best genetics.
Select Sires, Inc. is seeking a motivated individual to join our Production Transportation team. This role will provide complete care of bulls to include reporting health and condition, assisting veterinarians, assisting with feeding, collecting, stall management and all related barn and farm chores and maintaining facilities and equipment. In addition, this position will transport bulls locally and across the United States and Canada. This hourly, non-exempt position is at our Plain City, OH facility and reports to the Production Supervisor. The starting wage for a Livestock Technician - Driver is $16.50 per hour.
This unique opportunity works closely with other key groups within Select Sires management to maintain the health and transport of bulls safely both in-house and while in transport. Members of the transportation team are responsible for not only bull health during transportation, but the care of the truck and trailer, details of their driving log, planning their trips and maintaining contact with each pickup and drop off location along the way. Transportation members are subject to Federal Inspections while driving CMV. Careful care and accurateness are non-negotiable when becoming a CDL driver.
Specific duties and responsibilities of a Livestock Technician - Driver include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as a positive representative of the Select Sires, Inc. Mission: To enhance the productivity and profitability of dairy and beef producers. Select Sires is committed to be the premier provider of highly fertile, superior genetics accompanied by effective reproductive- and herd-management products and services.
- Care for bulls of all ages and sizes during transportation
- Take proper care of the truck and trailer before, during and after hauling
- Follow all appropriate FMCSA regulations
Work schedules and duties are subject to change to meet departmental needs. Holiday and weekend work is required on a rotating schedule.
COMMITMENT TO EMPLOYEE GROWTH AND SUCCESS
Select Sires is a team-oriented atmosphere, encouraging employees to take greater responsibility for their careers to grow personally and professionally.
- Select Sires offers employees competitive compensation packages that include flexible benefits
- Professional development through mentoring and internal and external training
- Advancement opportunities through career planning
- A culture instilled by a commitment to excellence, a passion for customer success, and high ethical standards
- A focus that includes work/life balance
- Community-oriented mindset as a major contributor to local organizations and events
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Have or obtain a Class A CDL.
- Have and maintain a DOT acceptable driving record, subject to pre-employment MVR.
- Maintain a DOT Medical Card.
- Be available for advanced planned trips, being on the road for up to 1-2 weeks a month.
- Have experience with bulls, maintaining adequate handling and care.
- Pass a Select Sires administered road test.
- Have the ability to complete pre and post trip inspections.
- Be able to sit and remain alert for up to 11 hours at a time and work irregular schedules in extreme conditions.
- Be willing to learn and follow the required FMCSA regulations.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent
The job description is not intended to cover or describe all tasks, duties, and responsibilities the employee may be required to be asked to perform. Select Sires retains the right to change or add new tasks, duties, and responsibilities to the employee at any time, with or without notice.
Evidence of work authorization upon employment is required in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Completion of USCIS form I-9 will be required to verify employment eligibility within three business days of the first day of employment.
Select Sires, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Select Sires, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location where the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Select Sires, Inc. expressly prohibits workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Select Sires, Inc.'s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including termination.