The Smart Electric Power Alliance (SEPA) helps all electric power stakeholders accelerate the transformation to a carbon-free electricity system. SEPA concentrates our focus on the following areas to maximize impact: Resilience, Storage, Transportation, Emerging Technology, and Policy.
SEPA delivers value to our members through research, education, events, working groups, peer engagements, and member projects. We facilitate collaboration, develop innovative strategies and guidance, and provide actionable solutions for our members and partner organizations. For more information, visit www.sepapower.org.
The Senior Manager, Transportation is a key contributor to the Transportation focus area, including project management, business development, and managing junior staff. The qualified candidate supports in setting the strategy for this focus area, articulating the value propositions for fundraising to build the body of work, as well as executing offerings which could entail writing papers; creating workshops; speaking at events; executing on client specific work; or creating frameworks, roadmaps or programmatic offerings.
The Senior Manager, Transportation’s primary role is to demonstrate leadership and project management in the development of impactful content, research, analysis, and convenings that support SEPA’s Transportation focus area. This position will provide the opportunity to expand existing clean transportation subject matter expertise and build a reputation across the industry commensurate with that expertise. Additionally, this position will require supervision and/or mentoring of junior staff members.
The salary range for this position is $112,000 - $125,000 with the target being around $118,000 based on experience.
Project Management (60% of time)
- Develops and manages projects as assigned with support from junior staff and leadership from senior staff
- Authors, co-leads, and/or supports various research outputs
- Directs junior staff in defining and executing on project approaches for key areas of responsibility
- Supports the Transportation focus area and junior staff in ensuring accuracy and high quality of data and writing represented in each Transportation deliverable output
- Works with SEPA’s marketing and communications, programs, memberships, and engagement teams to define a coordinated strategy for assigned projects.
- Direct supervision of 2-3 staff
Industry Engagement (20% of time)
- Represents SEPA externally by speaking at key industry events to raise SEPA’s visibility and establish credibility for our low-carbon and carbon-free Transportation work.
- May be responsible for managing and growing the Electric Vehicle Working Group.
- Converts research content into various formats working with SEPA’s marketing and communications, programs, and engagement teams based on target audience and delivery channel. This may include webinars, podcasts, SEPA conference sessions, blogs, infographics, slide decks, industry articles, or other formats as requested.
- Network with other members of the industry to raise awareness about SEPA and recruit them to join as members; works with the membership team on outreach and engagement strategies.
Business Development (10% of time)
- Actively maintain relationships with members and other key stakeholders and partners
- Develop and maintain a network for building relationships and finding opportunities for SEPA to engage with state energy offices, electric power utilities, regulators, end-use consumers and other key stakeholders on R&IS projects.
- Support business development efforts including developing proposals and grant funding opportunities
- Responsible for identifying, tracking, and pursuing business development opportunities in Salesforce
- Responsible for key performance indicators (KPIs) associated with business development pipeline and annual revenue targets
Strategic Planning (10% of time)
- Contributes to the annual R&IS planning process.
- Support the development of the Transportation team’s overall strategy
- Responsible for supporting the Senior Director, Transportation in developing the Transportation revenue and expense budgets
- 7-10 years of combined experience in the energy industry
- 5+ years of demonstrated transportation electrification or other clean transportation experience
- 2+ years of management consulting experience preferred
- Strong analytic, written, and verbal communication skills, with the ability to translate complex concepts and challenges into more fundamental and actionable components
- Demonstrated ability to perform techno-economic analysis in Microsoft Excel or similar programs or applications
- Superior project management skills and an entrepreneurial mindset
- Experience collecting and organizing multiple sources of data, developing analysis into processes, and establishing and consistently improving research processes
- Experience as an author and presenter on clean energy topics
- Experience developing or supporting business development efforts, sales, and grant fundraising
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, physical science, energy policy, engineering, mathematics, or related field, with advanced degree preferred
- Skilled project manager
- Forward thinking
- Skilled communicator
- Deft political style
- Exceptional Problem-Solving Skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Proactive and self-motivated
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- Your work will help accelerate our nation’s transformation to a carbon-free electricity system.
- You will enjoy working in a collaborative and highly-supportive work environment with a great team of trustworthy and approachable colleagues. You will experience a culture driven by these organizational behaviors:
- Adaptability - Be flexible and capable of change to achieve maximum impact.
- Innovation - Drive new understanding & methods to grow ambitiously as an organization and as individuals.
- Comradery - Work hard and have fun.
- Humility - Start with questions, rather than answers. Explore all sides of an issue.
- Ownership - Think and act like owners of SEPA. Hold ourselves and each other accountable for our shared success.
- Transparency - Communicate honestly, frequently and openly.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
SEPA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. Employment is based on personal capabilities and qualifications. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, or any other protected class as established by applicable law.
ADA Requirements and Disclaimer
This position description generally indicates the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act expected of an incumbent. This role requires the ability to use standard office equipment and learn new software applications as necessary. This is a largely sedentary role; however, some traveling may be required. This position description is not designed to cover a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.