FN America, LLC is a U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A., a global leader in the development and manufacturing of high-quality, reliable firearms for military, law enforcement and commercial customers worldwide. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia with manufacturing operations in Columbia, South Carolina, FN America is passionately committed to providing its customers with a portfolio of FN-branded products, training and support services that enhance user performance and safeguard their lives. For more information, visit us at or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Senior Quality Assurance Technician ensure effective high-level utilization of inspection equipment and systems to assure the quality of all products and processes.
- Performs complex inspection set-ups as required to ensure compliance with requirements and standards.
- Performs audits to ensure compliance with requirements and standards.
- Uses programmable measuring systems such as, but not limited to, Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMM), vision systems (ViciVision, Keyence, Smartscope, etc.), and MicroHites, to ensure compliance to requirements and standards.
- Mentors QA Techs by assisting with final decisions on product, assisting in on-the-job training, and assisting with more complex inspections.
- Completes special projects/assignments assigned by Engineering/Management.
- Collects quality data to evaluate quality improvements, process capability (CP/CPK), machine capability (CN/CMK), and gage repeatability and reproducibility (GR&R).
- Communicates data analysis and inspection results to various Engineering/Management groups for further analysis/decisions.
- Assists the Supplier Quality Engineers, Quality Engineers, and Quality Engineering Techs with various projects to ensure compliance with requirements, standards, and continuous improvement.
- Monitors and mentors operators to use Statistical Process Control (SPC) charts and data to ensure compliance with requirements and standards.
- Assists in the development of Quality Assurance (QA) Inspection plans and systems.
- Executes QA Inspection plans and systems to ensure compliance to requirements and standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional job duties by department:
Dept 325 (QA – Indirect):
- Administers and/or uses the recall system for internal and vendor supplied gaging.
- Orders and maintains gaging inventory.
- Receives and accounts for incoming gages and supplies.
- Processes returns.
- Uses computer system to locate, retrieve, and disposition items while adjusting inventory as necessary.
- Receives gages and ensures returned gages are inspected before they are stocked and reissued. Communicates priority of calibrations.
- Performs audits on metrology items and functions.
- Solicits quotes from gage / service suppliers and creates electronic purchase order requests (ePORs) for gage build and/or repair.
- Calibrates measuring equipment using necessary procedures and layout inspection techniques for conformance to requirements.
- Repairs and adjusts measuring equipment as required.
- Assists in gage control, maintenance, and calibration procedure development.
- Performs gage repeatability and reproducibility (R&R) studies and Measurement System Analysis (MSA).
- Assists in the support of SPC program.
- Performs functional checks for all gages.
- Troubleshoots and resolve gaging issues.
Dept 415 (QA - Supplier - Indirect):
- Verifies certification packages for completeness and accuracy.
A high school diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
Three plus years of technical Quality experience in a manufacturing environment is required, or a combination of education, experience, and certifications. Certified Quality Tech (CQT) may count as two years of experience.
Skills and Competencies
All FN America employees are expected to demonstrate accountability, collaboration, communication, customer focus, and innovation. Additional requirements of this position include:
- Proficiency in math, advanced print reading, and SPC.
- Thorough knowledge of current manufacturing processes, machine tool, and tooling.
- Ability to understand complex assemblies and the function of individual components.
- Level II knowledge of advanced geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
- Ability to develop and administer complex training such as SPC and GD&T.
- Advanced Product Quality knowledge and decision-making skills.
- Ability to collect and summarize data.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Advanced presentation and customer service skills.
- Ability to participate at production boards.
- Ability to execute standard approach of Quality Plans.
- Proficiency and/or certified in at least three of the following: Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM) programing, vision system programming, American Society for Quality (ASQ) certified, CQT, Certified Quality Management System (QMS) Lead Auditor, welding inspection, barrel inspection, Inspection Expert Software, or Advance Inspection Equipment (Keyence, MahrTrace, Color Spectrometer, XRF material scanner).
Microsoft Office Suite
ASQ Certified Quality Technician, ASQ Certified Quality Auditor, Certified Calibration Technician, and/or Six Sigma Green Belt preferred.
Typical manufacturing environment with some travel between buildings and to other locations required (up to 50% travel time). May be exposed to loud noises and dangerous chemicals while on the plant floor.
All FN America employees have a responsibility to participate in the development of a safe and healthy workplace and to comply with instructions given for their own safety and health and that of others.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status.
FN America, LLC is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please email HR@FNAmerica.com or call: 803-736-0522.
We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor.