Nielsen-Kellerman Co. (“NK”) is seeking a dedicated Test Technician to join our in-house product development team outside of Philadelphia, PA. Working under the supervision of a senior developer, you will conduct both manual and automated tests of software, firmware and hardware to help us ensure the quality and performance of our portfolio of cloud-connected sports, weather and environmental instruments. NK is a successful and established small company with globally recognized brands and a six-time Philly Top Workplace. We offer both a casual, entrepreneurial work environment and job security with excellent benefits. This is at-will employment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform software performance testing, validation and verification (“V&V”) as part of Lean Agile product development teams. Testing activities will include manual and automated tests of software applications running on Windows and Mac platforms, apps running on iOS and Android platforms, cloud portals hosting device data and providing viewing and analytics services, wireless connectivity between devices over Bluetooth and WiFi and instrument functionality, and other features and functions of our cloud-connected portfolio of weather, environmental and sports performance instrumentation.
- Assist in setting up, running and reporting on hardware tests on product aspects such as sensors, battery performance, electronic circuitry and durability.
- Recognize when test results should be escalated for immediate attention.
- Generate concise reports relating to test and evaluation activities.
- Participate in development team meetings and retrospectives.
Required Skills and Personal Qualities for Success
The successful NK Software/Firmware tester will have a desire to be part of a smaller, entrepreneurial team designing products for US manufacturing and be able to:
- Execute repetitive tasks with care and attention to detail.
- Understand written software specifications and test scenarios.
- Translate described functions to what is seen on the screen or device.
- Work independently while still knowing when to ask questions.
- Manage assignments to meet deadlines.
- Communicate test results factually and clearly.
Qualifications and Experience
Minimum Qualifications to be Considered:
- 2-year Associates Degree or Technical Certification and/or equivalent training or experience.
- Working knowledge of computers and mobile devices (one or more operating systems).
- Working knowledge of current versions of Microsoft Office, specifically Word and Excel.
- Able to read, write and speak English sufficiently to comprehend specifications and instructions and communicate test results.
Desired Knowledge and Experience:
- 2+ years of work experience
- Knowledge of common programming concepts, practices and structures
- Experience in automated software test frameworks
- Exposure to Java and/or C language programming
- Understanding of agile software development
- Understanding of front-end vs. back-end technologies
- Understanding of quality assurance concepts
- Exposure to Lean or Agile product development frameworks
- Knowledge of test design, automation and documentation
- Knowledge of design for manufacturability and/or Lean manufacturing
- Exposure to Git repositories and Jira project management