The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicagoans with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, Chicago Sun-Times Media, Inc. (CSTM) is now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism deeply connected to Chicago communities.
We are looking for an Events and Community Engagement Coordinator to join our marketing team. The partnerships and events marketing coordinator engages new and existing partner organizations to develop, plan, and execute mutually supporting relationships to engage new audiences and grow the community of members and readers for The Chicago Sun-Times.
- Prospect for new partners through networking, other events, online research, social media, and other media manage existing partner relationships to ensure mutually beneficial relationships for all parties involved
- Liaising with clients, ensuring effective communication across the board
- Manage multiple events per year from the event concept phase through lead generation, expense management, promotional efforts, and event execution
- Manage overall operations with event vendors and partners, including the effective and successful management of labor, productivity, cost efficiency, and quality control for each event
- Oversee on-site logistics, including setup/teardown, volunteer management, and vendor coordination
- Meet targeted objectives for lead generation
- Work with internal stakeholders and vendors to produce high-quality events
- Manage event expenses and budgets
- Serve as point of contact for all operations and logistics
- Work closely across departments to ensure logistics run smoothly and efficiently
- Promote the Sun-Times mission and products at a variety of events produced both by CSTM and our partners
- Perform other duties as assigned
COVID-19 Requirement: CSTM requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination upon hire.
- Project management experience, driving initiatives from conception through completion
- Experience in advertising, marketing, or communications
- Prior experience in community engagement and community outreach
- Prior experience in event coordination and management
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong working relationships
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Excellent planning, time management, and organizational skills with incredible attention to detail
- Ability to take the initiative and creatively problem solve
- Proficient with Google Suite and other applications
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and within a collaborative, team-based environment
- Strong work ethic with the ability to prioritize and multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture
- A hybrid work schedule: 2 days in the office, 3 days remote
- Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand!
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis which would violate any applicable federal, state, or local law.