The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicagoans with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, Chicago Sun-Times Media, Inc. (CSTM) is now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism deeply connected to Chicago communities.
We are currently seeking a highly creative and talented graphic designer to join our dynamic team. The graphic designer will help develop and execute visually engaging marketing materials across various platforms. Bringing a keen eye for design and proficiency in industry-standard design tools, the graphic designer will collaborate with various departments to visually communicate stories, events, and information to our audiences through print and digital platforms. The ideal candidate should have a strong eye for design, excellent attention to detail, and a passion for journalism.
- Collaborate with the marketing team and newsroom to conceptualize and produce creative and impactful designs for advertising campaigns, social media content, email newsletters, infographics, and other marketing collateral.
- Maintain brand consistency across all marketing materials, ensuring they align with our brand guidelines.
- Stay up-to-date with marketing trends and techniques, incorporating innovative design elements into campaigns.
- Work closely with copywriters, strategists, and other team members to understand campaign objectives and deliver designs that effectively communicate key messages.
- Take briefs and project requirements and turn them into visually stunning deliverables that align with business goals and target audience preferences.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, independently prioritizing tasks and meeting deadlines.
COVID-19 Requirement: CSTM requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination upon hire.
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design, visual communication, marketing, or a related field
- Proven experience as a graphic designer, preferably in a journalism or publishing environment
- Proficient in industry-standard design software, such as Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Solid understanding of layout, typography, color theory, and other design principles
- Ability to create impactful designs within brand guidelines and adapt them to various formats and platforms, including digital, print, and social media
- Ability to take direction and collaborate with a team, as well as work independently when necessary
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to effectively articulate design concepts and collaborate with cross-functional teams
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture
- A hybrid work schedule: 2 days in the office, three days remote
- Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand!
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis which would violate any applicable federal, state, or local law.