- The interview process for this position may include a technical presentation of the candidates current or previous projects related to the below job description and Skorpios technology, which can be found on www.Skorpiosinc.com.
Job PurposeThe Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for mechanical design of Skorpios Technologies’ optical transceiver products. The position must demonstrate good understanding of optical module packaging and proficiency in Creo and/or Solidworks. Tooling and fixture design work to support opto-electrical module testing also expected.
Essential ResponsibilitiesReasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential responsibilities.
- Design mechanical portion of pluggable optical transceiver, including designing mechanical components for pluggable transceiver (QSFP-DD, OSFP) and supporting transceiver PCB design. Create drawings for mechanical components and assemblies.
- Finite element analysis of mechanical structures to simulate thermal performance and mechanical properties like thermal expansion and stress
- Perform mechanical tolerance analysis. Have good understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Design tools and fixtures to support pluggable transceiver manufacturing, such as die attach, fiber alignment and wire bonding.
- Manage Bill of Material of pluggable transceiver products using PLM tools such as Agile or Oracle PLM.
- Experienced with general optical/mechanical packaging industry standards and best practices
- Effective technical skills
- Strong design and analysis tools skills (CAD, FEM)
- Experience with machined, cast, and 3D printed parts
- Ability to work under pressure
- Problem-solving skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Analytical skills
Work EnvironmentWork is primarily performed in a temperature-controlled, open cubicle setting. Frequent interruptions and conversational noise can be expected.
- Constantly in a stationary position, often sitting and/or standing for prolonged periods
- Constantly viewing a computer monitor for prolonged periods
Less than 25% anticipated
Required Education and Experience
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering required
- 5-10 years of experience
- Experience with CAD tool (Creo or SolidWorks and AutoCAD) required
- Knowledge of statistical analysis
- Optical packaging design experience
- Knowledge of FEA/thermal and stress analysis
Preferred Education and Experience
- Creo experience preferred