LNP | LancasterOnline is looking for a Reporter, General Assignment who will specialize in health and wellness to join our team! General assignment reporters are storytellers, nimble investigators, curious researchers. Do you love to break down complex ideas for easy consumption? Are you curious about how changing rules or new products might matter to regular people and are you willing to find out and tell them? Do you love connecting with people, and writing in a way that readers connect, too? Necessary skills and attributes are urgency, curiosity and a need to make our product relentlessly interesting. This reporter might partner with the environment reporter on lead abatement or how tainted well-water can make children sick, or they might work with local doctors on an analysis of what vaccine is right for who and when. This position reports to the work/wellness team leader and deputy.
Why work with us?
We know that employees are a business’s greatest asset and the primary driver of success. We are committed to attracting and retaining people who are bright, curious, flexible, and energetic, to ensure our progress for the next 225 years.
As a team member at LNP | LancasterOnline, you’ll enjoy:
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off
- Benefits: medical, prescription, dental, vision, short-term disability, basic life insurance
- 401(k) with Company Match
For nearly 158 years and four generations, the Steinman family of Lancaster owned and operated what today is LNP Media Group. LNP Media Group comprises three local newspapers, a news website, and a marketing agency. LNP Media Group’s daily newspaper is LNP which, with its companion site LancasterOnline.com, is Lancaster County’s top source of news and information. The other two publications are The Ephrata Review and The Lititz Record, hyper-local weekly newspapers.
Founded by educators in 1963, WITF has been an essential part of the civic, educational and cultural fabric of the Central Pennsylvania region for over 60 years. WITF operates a non-commercial television station in Harrisburg, and the region’s NPR radio station WITF-FM (89.5).
Starting in July 2023, LNP Media Group and WITF — two vibrant, local institutions — marked a new era: Steinman Communications, which is owned by the Steinman family, gifted LNP Media Group and its publications to WITF as a capstone to the family’s two centuries of community service and philanthropy. Together, WITF and LNP Media Group are creating a new mission-driven and sustainable model for local news and strategic marketing for local businesses. With their partners at WITF, LNP Media Group will continue to provide highly effective marketing and advertising solutions in print and online to businesses throughout the region.
Essential Job Functions (Full Description):
This reporter is expected to:
- Exercise solid news judgment, a sense of urgency and the highest journalistic standards.
- Produce daily as well as mid- and longer-range enterprise stories.
- Regularly curate and aggregate content from other sources and present them with relevance and context for our LancasterOnline audience, with additional commentary and explanation.
- Actively build a social media presence by posting content and engaging with our audience. Look for video and social opportunities for story coverage.
- Use digital metrics to gauge how well stories perform with our LancasterOnline audience and, with input from editors, decide how to improve poor performers or stop writing about topics that perform poorly altogether.
- Brainstorm and collaborate with other members of the Work & Wellness Team to break news, launch projects and layer coverage in proven high reader-interest areas.
Reporters are expected to develop authoritative sources in the community, collaborate with other LNP | LancasterOnline journalists and identify stories that are compelling to this community news organizations audience. Reporters are also expected to meet the demands of a growing digital audience by routinely using social media, shooting photographs and video, and understanding how to post their work using a content-management system.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelors degree in journalism, English, mass communications or related field is required, with a proven knowledge and experience working with current media creation tools and contemporary newsroom systems, producing digital and print content, preferred.
- May be required to meet AP writing style, depending on the publication.
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
- Must be able to work nights and weekends as necessary.
- Team player who enjoys a fast-paced work environment.
- Wishes to work in a business environment in which every employee seeks to be great every day.
- Required to use a computer monitor, keyboard, and mouse for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds on occasion.
- Proficient use of PC, laptop, smartphone, tablet, photo/video equipment
- Ability to travel to events or venues for stories.
- Ability to work nights or weekends on occasion.