- The interview process for this position may include a technical presentation of the candidates current or previous projects related to the below job description and Skorpios technology, which can be found on www.Skorpiosinc.com.
The Software Engineer, Optical Module Firmware is responsible for maintaining existing and developing new firmware solutions for Skorpios Optical Communications products. The position will also maintain existing and develop new Test Software applications for Skorpios Optical Communications products.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential responsibilities.
- Develop new and improve existing test software written in C# to test Skorpios silicon photonics ICs and optical modules
- Automate custom and commercial test and measurement equipment using USB, GPIB, and TCP/IP interfaces.
- Review existing code, make improvements, and develop changes that impact cycle time, quality, and reliability of our products.
- Provide software for skilled technicians for fault isolation of complex optical, electrical, and communication problems.
- Develop firmware (embedded C / ARM) for optical communications products
- Implement algorithms for controlling Skorpios silicon photonics ICs
- Implement control of various ICs through SPI, I2C and other low-level communications protocols
- Implement and support DVT of customer-facing interfaces ensure compliance with SFF-8636 and CMIS specifications
- Support development of custom Linux-based test hardware
- Computer programming and coding
- Systemic thinking
- Software development
- Problem solving
- Analysis of alternatives
- Information gathering
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Written and verbal communication
Work is primarily performed in a temperature-controlled, open cubicle setting. Frequent interruptions and conversational noise can be expected.
- Constantly in a stationary position, often sitting and/or standing for prolonged periods (8 hours)
- Constantly viewing a computer monitor for prolonged periods (8 hours)
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice at the discretion of the company.
Affirmative Action/EEO Statement
The employment policy of Skorpios is to provide equal opportunity to all individuals. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs. It is the policy of this Company not to discriminate against any employee, or applicant for employment, because of age, sex (including pregnancy, perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), color, race, creed, national origin, religious persuasion (including religious dress and grooming practices), marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political belief, genetics, disability that does not prohibit performance of essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations, medical condition, or any other protected characteristic under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Skorpios also does not discriminate on the basis of national origin or citizenship status, as provided under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
Company Paid Life Insurance
Company Paid Disability (New Mexico)
Generous PTO Plan
Generous Holiday Plan (includes Birthday Leave)
Required Education and Experience
- BS in science or engineering is required. (Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering).
- Experience with C# or similar object-oriented programming language
- Experience with embedded C firmware development
- >2 years of experience working in manufacturing and/or development environments
- 5-10 years of experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Programming experience in Object Oriented languages is required. VB.NET or C# is preferred.
- Programming experience in embedded C is required. ARM core development is preferred.
Less than 25% anticipated