Position: Junior Accountant
Department: Finance & Administration
Reports to: Controller
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Junior Accountant will perform accounting duties related to the efficient maintenance and processing of accounts payable transactions. S/he will review and analyze expense reports, work with vendors to resolve invoices, and reconcile monthly vendor statements. The Junior Accountant will administer the corporate card account activities and reconcile monthly statements.
MEASURE(S) OF SUCCESS
• Accuracy while managing a high volume of invoice and journal entry transactions.
• Time required to complete assigned tasks for month-end close.
• Meeting all deadlines for escheatment filings.
• Resolve outstanding checks by collaborating with the billing team.
Adaptability - Employee is open to new ideas and ways of doing business and adopts change willingly.
Communication - Employee expresses thoughts and ideas in a clear and effective manner. Employee communicates directly and provides meaningful information to others to generate support.
Continuous Improvement - Employee seeks opportunities to improve current processes, systems, and methods to promote reliability, quality, and efficiency of output.
Customer Service - Employee delivers exceptional customer service.
Delivering Results - Employee commits to achieving objectives, holds oneself accountable, and follows through.
Learning Agility - Employee learns quickly and applies newly learned information and skills to innovate, adapt, and uses feedback to improve.
Makes Sound Decisions - Employee makes sound decisions in a timely and confident manner.
Relationship Management - Employee builds and maintains meaningful and positive connections with others inside or outside of the organization.
Resilience - Employee responds to challenges with composure, optimism, and hardiness; employee perseveres and exhibits healthy stress management strategies.
Teamwork and collaboration - Employee cooperates with others through mutual trust and accountability to accomplish shared objectives.
Work Organization - Employee approaches work in an orderly manner; prioritizing tasks and managing time effectively.
RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Accounts Payable (50%)
• Obtain proper documentation, coding, and approval of invoices.
• Enter invoices into the accounts payable system (Yooz).
• Print checks and distribute for signatures.
• Prepare support for wire transfers.
• Set up and maintain vendor files.
• Obtain a Form W-9 for each vendor.
• Research discrepancies and issues.
• Act as the vendor contact.
• Review and maintain outstanding checklist.
• Oversee escheatment disbursements and tracking.
• Work with billing services team to clear outstanding checks before reaching escheatment.
• Enter payment requests for member refunds in Intacct as provided by billing services team.
• Match payment requests for member refunds with letters provided by billing services team.
2. Credit Card Payable (15%)
• Distribute monthly statements and report templates to cardholders.
• Ensure complete and accurate documentation for receipts.
• Enter credit card transactions directly in Intacct.
• Update and maintain list of corporate credit cardholders.
• Lead the issuance or suspension of credit cards.
• Work with Controller on new credit card applications.
• Reconcile Credit Card Payable each month.
3. Expense Reports (15%)
• Obtain proper documentation, coding, and approval of requests.
• Review pre-travel against post-travel expense forms.
• Process expense reports.
• Print checks and distribute for signatures.
4. Year-end activities (10%)
• Prepare 1099-NEC forms using Track1099 by Avalara.
• Prepare list of contractors as required for Form 990.
• Support the financial statement audit by pulling samples requested by auditors.
5. Bank Transactions (10%)
• Upload bank transactions into Intacct.
• Create journal entries to record premiums paid against accounts receivable.
This position description should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the sole standards for the position. Incumbents are expected to perform all assigned duties as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance or comparable experience required.
• 1 – 2 years experience in an accounting or finance role.
• Experience with financial system software, such as Sage Intacct.
• Proficient in Microsoft products, especially Excel.
• Knowledge of accounting principles and procedures.
• Strong communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Strong organization, planning, and task management skills.
• Strong problem-solving skills and results orientation.
• Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task.