- The interview process for this position may include a technical presentation of the candidates current or previous projects related to the below job description and Skorpios technology, which can be found on www.Skorpiosinc.com.
The Optical Design Engineer is responsible for Optical design of Skorpios Technologies’ optical transceiver products. The position must demonstrate good understanding of pluggable optical transceiver packaging and proficiency in optical design software like Code V or Zemax. Design of fiber optic connections to Skorpios PICs. Work with chip designers on optical interfaces. Work with mechanical engineers to design housing with suitable tolerances.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential responsibilities.
- Design Optical portion of pluggable optical transceiver, including designing Optical components (isolators, lenses). Create drawings for Optical components and assemblies.
- Perform Optical tolerance analysis.
- Work with vendors on optical assemblies to interface with our chips
- Effective technical skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Problem-solving skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Analytical skills
Work is primarily performed in a temperature-controlled, open cubicle setting. Frequent interruptions and conversational noise can be expected.
- Constantly in a stationary position, often sitting and/or standing for prolonged periods
- Constantly viewing a computer monitor for prolonged periods
Affirmative Action/EEO Statement
The employment policy of Skorpios is to provide equal opportunity to all individuals. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs. It is the policy of this Company not to discriminate against any employee, or applicant for employment, because of age, sex (including pregnancy, perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), color, race, creed, national origin, religious persuasion (including religious dress and grooming practices), marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political belief, genetics, disability that does not prohibit performance of essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations, medical condition, or any other protected characteristic under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Skorpios also does not discriminate on the basis of national origin or citizenship status, as provided under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
Company Paid Life Insurance
Company Paid Disability (New Mexico)
Generous PTO Plan
Generous Holiday Plan (includes Birthday Leave)
Required Education and Experience
- BS or MS in Optical Engineering required
- Optical design software fluency
- 5-10 years of experience
- Knowledge of statistical analysis
- Optical packaging design experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience with CAD tool (Creo or SolidWorks and AutoCAD) desired
Less than 25% anticipated