To oversee the implementation of the mission, goals and philosophy of Incarnate Word Academy. Responsible for managing the daily operations in order to fulfill the mission of the school.
Mission and Values
- Incarnate Word Academy provides young women with a Catholic college preparatory education, helping them grow in their relationship with Jesus, the Incarnate Word, and live according to His values.
- Models the mission, values and spirituality of the Academy and the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament
- Serves as a positive representative of IWA within the broader community
- Participates fully in the life and activities of the IWA community
- Serves all IWA families with compassion and respect
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures that the IWA mission and philosophy of the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament is promoted among the school community.
- Develops an active faith community and models Christian values.
- Incorporates prayer and spiritual formation within the student, faculty/staff and parent communities.
- Ensures the implementation of programs and practices that promote strong academics Christian values spirituality and service in the education and formation of the students.
Leadership and Management
- Meet weekly with the president about academic programs and overall operation of the school.
- After consultation with the president, hires faculty and education support staff.
- Conducts annual assessments for faculty and education support staff.
- Provides leadership and oversight for faculty meeting agendas and in-service days.
- Approves faculty requests for outside professional development.
- Works closely with key staff members and the Strategic Planning Committee to create a team approach and implement a strong academic program to meet the goals of the Academy.
- Provides orientation for new faculty in conjunction with the Academic Dean and others.
- Provides leadership and direction for the educational portion of the strategic plan and its implementation.
- Oversees required annual reporting procedures (accreditation, Catholic Schools Office, Federal Funding, etc.).
- Provides regularly scheduled Principal’s Team meetings.
- Coordinates a current list throughout the year of necessary revisions to the to the Faculty/Staff Handbook, Student-Parent Handbook and Athletic handbooks.
- Solicits updates from other key staff referenced in the handbooks.
- Reviews and approves course descriptions.
- Insures the compliance with the State of Texas and the Archdiocese of Galveston Houston policy where applicable.
- Assures compliance with all accreditation agencies including AdvancEd and TCCB ED.
- Maintains the files of faculty per accreditation guidelines.
- Serves as immediate supervisor to the academic dean, dean of students, counselors, registrar and Admissions Director to meet the requirements of their job descriptions.
- Evaluates the overall curriculum of the school.
- Insures the quality of the teaching-learning process.
- Assigns teaching and other professional responsibilities to the faculty as the needs of the school require.
- Approves textbook adoptions.
- Oversees the reporting of student progress.
- Develops a schedule of observing classes and evaluating teachers in conjunction with the Academic Dean.
- Coordinates faculty in-service in consultation with the Academic Dean and other appropriate personnel.
- Consults with the Academic Dean on the building of the master schedule.
- Works closely with the Dean of Students in review of student activities and the general procedures for student activities.
- Consults with the Dean of Students on matters related to discipline and student life.
- Consults with the Director of Campus Ministry on spiritual formation, service opportunities, and community building programs for all constituents.
- Consults with the Athletic Director and Administrative liaison regarding the policies and procedures of the athletics program/Booster Club.
- Works with the Director of Admissions on recruiting and selecting perspective students.
- Supervises the College Counselor and Wellness Counselor about college counseling programs and academic/social/emotional counseling issues.
- Makes final decision with the president regarding suspension and dismissal of students after considering advice of the Counselors and the Dean of Students.
- Represents Incarnate Word Academy at events to provide a positive image of the school’s programs and projects.
- Fosters relationships between the school and its constituencies
- Participates in special fundraising events and donor recognition activities.
- Finds opportunities to connect and network with parents, students, alumni, parents of alumni, etc.
- Works with the Director of Finance and the President to ensure budget preparation, implementation, and fiscal stability of the school.
- Prepares and oversees the budget and expenditures for the Education Budgets.
- Ensures that building safety programs meets or exceeds all local and state requirements.
- Works with the Director of Facilities to ensure operation of the school facilities support the school’s program.
- Schedules a calendar meeting in the spring and finalizes the school calendar.
- Serves on the Administrative Team.
- Coordinates and attends Follow Your Daughter Schedule Night
- Attends conferences and/or workshops (as needed) in order to keep abreast of latest education trends and research
- Attends Board of Advisor Meetings and prepares Principal’s report to the Board.
- Oversees self-study preparation and reporting to accrediting agencies (TCCB ED, AdvancEd).