Assist in administering a competitive Division I Softball program that adheres to all University, Horizon League, and NCAA rules and regulations while providing a safe and accepting environment for student-athletes to grow and develop academically, athletically and one which encourages personal responsibility, sportsmanship and service to others.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in coordinating and performing coaching duties including pre-season conditioning, practice, game preparation, field/floor coaching, and post-season activities.
- Assist in operating the program in compliance with University, Horizon League, and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Assist in complying with Sports Medicine policies and procedures stated in the Athletic Staff and Student-Athlete manuals.
- Assist in administering a successful student-athlete recruitment program.
- Assist in retaining student-athletes in the program, maintain team continuity, and garner student-athlete satisfaction with the program. (Review Team Attrition Information)
- Demonstrate concern and support for academic performances of student-athletes on the team. (Review Graduation Rate Information/ APR. and Team Academic Progress Report)
- Assist in fielding a team that is competitive athletically (finish in upper division of league- winning record).
- Assist in fielding a team whose racial or ethnic composition is reflective of the University’s undergraduate full-time enrollment population.
- Assist in providing an annual schedule of competition that meets the guidelines outlined in the staff manual and enables the team to travel to away contests in a reasonable and safe manner.
- Serve as public relations lead including attendance at athletic department functions and special events.
- Pitching Coach – Establish inefficiency and mechanical breakdown as
- Pitching Coach – Implement corrective exercises to improve student-athlete strength and accuracy
- Pitching Coach – Prepare mental and physical aspects of pitching
- Pitching Coach – Establish proper kinematic sequencing and patterns
- Education – A college degree or equivalent combination of education and employment.
- Experience – Six months to two years
- Well-polished communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent leadership and motivational skills
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be able to travel extensively
- Must be able to drive 15-passenger vans
- Must be willing and able to work evenings and weekends
Job requires repetitively liftinglightweightt objects where frequent bending or stooping alternates with lighter activities.
Occasional exposure to objectionable conditions or variations such as those found in variable weather conditions or light industrial settings.
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be able to pass the NCAA recruiting test
Commensurate with experience
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private University, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University’s mission, diversity, and excellence of its academic community. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.