The Mayor’s Workforce Development Board (MWDB) is directly responsible and accountable to the State of Michigan, Workforce Development Agency (WDA) for the planning and oversight of talent development programs in the City of Detroit. Designated by the MWDB, Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) serves as the fiscal and administrative entity that provides workforce services to job seekers and employers. DESC manages the Detroit Michigan Works! One-Stop Service Centers branded locally as Detroit at Work Career Centers.
The City of Detroit via Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) contracts workforce development training to a network of community providers and institutions. Training is provided in several areas: basic education, foundational skills, soft skills and occupational skills. The goal is to successfully prepare individuals for sustainable employment and reduce the prevalence of poverty. The strategic quality focus of the Training Quality & Retention Division (TQR) of the Mayor’s Office of Workforce Development (MOWD) is to:
• Develop strategies to assess and monitor the quality of training and improve workforce outcomes.
• Lead strategies to align training curriculums and methods to meet the skills needed to address employer hiring demands.
• Create and work with a panel of industry experts for curriculum and certification validation.
• Lead capacity building efforts with providers to meet desired quality training needs and outcomes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Research best practices and develop strategies to measure the quality of contracted workforce training programs.
• Work with TQR Director to identify and create a panel of industry experts to review and validate training credentials and certifications to align training with needed employer skill and qualification needs.
• Work with TQR Director to develop quality improvement strategies that support long-term goals.
• Work with the DESC IT team to develop the technology infrastructure needed to support quality improvement strategies. This includes customer satisfaction data from job seekers.
• Measure and evaluate data to determine the ultimate impact of the strategies on the training providers, employers, and job seekers.
• Work with providers to identify and develop strategies to address capacity building challenges.
• Demonstrated experience working effectively with C-suite leaders and external stakeholders, including civic and/or community leaders.
• Background in or exposure to workforce development through employers, community-based organizations, or government highly desirable.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Management, Organizational Leadership or a related field preferred, though not required
Valid State of Michigan Driver’s License – Position requires field work.
Background check and drug screen required.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.