Skillable is a 100% remote and virtual tech company that’s modernizing the world of training. Come share your professional magic with highly talented, drive and fun colleagues who believe in the power of “skilling.” Experience what a true team focused on doing the right thing feels like!
Our people and talent are what make us great and fun! We work together to create amazing solutions and experiences for our customers and their clients. We utilize our employees’ personal strengths to help our company grow and ensure our team is living their best, authentic life. We don’t just share our appreciation for our team members once a year with a branded mug—it’s shared on a daily basis. Our remote work environment blends the demands of work and life without the added pressure of commuting or feeling guilty about leaving early to visit the dentist.
Come work with us and learn what teamwork and integrity blended with an emphasis on well-being and balance can do for your career!
The Software Engineer will be joining the Skillable’s Data Insights and Marketplace team. This team revolves around bridging the data gap between various internal and external stakeholders, some of which can be described as follows:
- Data Collection: Our team adeptly gathers real-time data from a variety of sources, such as TMS and Studio, ensuring a constant influx of accurate and current information.
- Data Transformation: Once collected, this data undergoes a meticulous process of refinement and distillation, leveraging SQL databases and advanced data warehousing techniques to extract its valuable essence.
- Data Visualization: The refined data is then skillfully translated into compelling web-app reports and dynamic dashboards, employing a diverse array of visualization tools and technologies. These visualizations are thoughtfully customized to address the distinct needs of various stakeholders, encompassing external customer creators and consumers, operations managers, as well as internal sales and executive leaders.
- Customer Onboarding, Configuration, and Pricing Controls: In addition, our team assumes pivotal responsibilities such as overseeing customer configuration management. This involves tailoring the platform to impeccably align with the specific requirements of each customer. Moreover, we facilitate seamless onboarding workflows, ensuring a frictionless integration process for new customers as they embark on their journey with the platform.
The Software Engineer, Front-End will be responsible for building front-end user experiences that align with our brand promise, simplify complexities, and showcase the innovative spirit of the organization. This person will work closely with a small team tasked with re-imagining the overall user experience for our most important personas. The ideal candidate is passionate about creating software products with a 'user-first' mindset and possesses a wide range of technical development, creativity, and multitasking skills. A core result of your efforts will be to continuously improve the way customers enjoy our applications and simplify the ways our internal teams support them, to the end of realizing increased value for Skillable.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Proactively collaborate with your product team and lead software engineer to fully understand requirements and suggest improvements during refinement and pre-dev stages.
- Assist with scope and estimation for proposed solutions leading to accurate cost and timeline estimates.
- Clarify and understand high-level Acceptance Criteria and primary functional testing scenarios for features and user stories.
- Consider cross-functional dependencies throughout the development cycle
- Consider non-functional requirements such as system performance, usability, reliability, adaptability, security, legal and other operational aspects.
- In collaboration with your lead(s), research different approaches and technologies that may help the team deliver higher quality software with faster velocity.
- Build world-class software applications and features with high velocity, according to our SDLC.
- Actively participate in Scrum ceremonies for development teams, working to mitigate risks, and clarifying daily dev blockers.
- Ensure your code is Ready for QA through intentional focus on unit testing and developing clean code.
- Perform functional and regression testing where requested, to support QA (Quality Assurance).
- Help drive the understanding that clear documentation is a core and essential component of the role.
- Resolve issues with your code in a timely manner and enrich “post-dev” processes
- Prepare for and actively participate in meaningful retrospective meetings and consider action plans with your lead(s) for overall improvement.
- Support a rhythm for proactive communication with your lead(s), Scrum Master, Product Owner, and related team members.
- Support and promote the company values through positive interactions with both internal and external partners and customers on a regular basis.
- Other strategic business initiatives or cross-functional project involvement as required.
- 5+ years working as a software developer in an agile product team.
- Experience with React, NodeJS, and Unit Testing with Jest & React Testing Library
- Experience with NextJS, ExpressJS, or similar.
- Experience with RESTful APIs is required. Experience with client-side libraries like SWR (a plus)
- Experience with Cypress, Puppeteer, or similar (a plus).
- Experience distributing NPM Packages with shared code (a plus)
- Experience with GitHub Actions, Azure Pipelines, Jenkins (a plus)
- Experience with modern cloud deployments like Vercel, Elastic Bean Stalk, Amplify, or Azure Static WebApps (a plus)
- Experience with Design Systems, Amazon Style Dictionary, or Theo (a plus)
- Experience working on small agile teams in GitFlow or Trunk Based Development (a plus)
- Flexible with the ability to adapt in a growing organization while undergoing consistent, proactive, iterative change and process improvement.
- Desire and ability to work at a fast pace and drive concurrent technical projects is helpful.
- Experience working in a fully remote team is preferred.
What’s in it for You? Rewards and Perks
We believe in providing a suite of benefits that ensure our employees know we appreciate them as people first. Skillable wants to be a company that promotes physical, emotional and all around well-being through our benefit offerings! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Fully remote with a monthly stipend to pay for office services and supplies
- Medical (2 plan options), dental (2 plan options), vision, health savings account with generous employer contributions, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, EAP, group paid life insurance, group paid STD and LTD and voluntary life/AD&D insurance, accident and critical illness options.
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, healthy lifestyle reimbursements.
- Open PTO, Paid holidays, bereavement leave, parental leave, caregiver leave and paid FMLA leave.
- Friends and Family Friday to end our standard workweek at 2pm local time; Full company closure during the 4th of July holiday week.
- Access to pet insurance; Access for employees and dependents to Skillable learning opportunities through our product and more!
The job conditions for this position are in a remote home office setting, requiring a space that supports privacy and focus to attend to regular and frequent video and voice calls. Employees in this position use PC and phone on an on-going basis throughout the day. Periodic travel may be required equaling up to approximately 10% of the time.